Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Sets Of All Nations Question? Break Em up or not?

I just picked up 29 sheets of the Coin Sets of All Nations series. Now the question is I don't give a damn about the stamp part so now opinions please on this. Would you break up the sets and reholder the coins or would you leave them as is?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    If you keep them they're in a good form of storage already. They may eventually be worth more as is, as well. On the other hand, some individual coins may sell while others may not. or some buyers will only want some of the coins in a set, not all. I'd keep them as is until you have reason to change that.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I agree with Brad, presentation is everything.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have lots of storage room it might make sense to keep them intact, but most of
    the coins in these sets are extremely common and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
    I bust these sets up as soon as I get them and set aside the good issues and the gem coins.
    I cut the stamps out and dump the common coins in poundage. This really spices up the
    poundage which allows it to sell for more. The keys are safely stored in a very compact area
    or in safety deposit boxes.

A premium for original packaging ever developing is not a sure thing but the one sure thing
    is that future collectors will seek these coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NJMark1NJMark1 Posts: 479
    Guys these are not for reselling but for my own collection. They will replace some coins already added but most are new additions. So in that light do you have the same opinion?

Mark
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're collecting coins there just doesn't seem much point in keeping any of the modern
    sets intact. If you're collecting sets then obviously they should be kept intact. There are lots
    of collectors who do collect intact sets in their original packaging and it's this demand that
    may give them a premium someday. It's really up to the collector but to me whether I'm buying
    these because they're too cheap or because a coin is needed in a collection, there's no point
    in keeping them intact.

Certainly there are many collectors who feel busting these up is a numismatic sin, but I'm not
    among them. Suit yourself.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I don't put them in the same category with mint sets, proof sets, etc., especially as the ones I've seen frequently have a mix of years.

My vote is bustem' image
    Roy