Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Finally got a Mantle autograph!

Well, when I first started collecting HOFer's autographs, I saw 3 deceased players that would have to be in my collection and would be within my spending limits. Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, and Mickey Mantle. I will never be able to get Cy Young, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, or Babe Ruth. But the holy trinity of Williams/DiMaggio/Mantle was absolutely necessary.

Here they are:

Joe DiMaggio: Autographed Pinnacle card. $150

Ted Williams: UDA Framed Auto Print with serial numbered UDA hologram-$260

Mickey Mantle: UDA Oversized Card with serial numbered hologram-$256

I know I've posted these scans before, but it is quite a thrill to have them all together finally. Now, I need to figure out a way to frame and display the DiMaggio and Mantle cards. Will likely get an old SI cover of 8X10 photo and frame it with the card.

I already have all current living HOF players (Baseball) and am working backwards to all living players as of 1980. With these 3, I think I should be able to complete that task (have about 20-25 to go).

Great mail day!!!

BTW, I know there a size limit on pics in this forum. I think my hosting site gets them pretty close, but haven't found a way to shrink them further. Sorry if the pics are too big. image

Comments

• DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Congrats - very nice pieces. Thanks for sharing them.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raymond
    Congratulations on some really nice autos - they look really good. But don't be so sure on the cost of the Ruth - check out Coach's Corner item #10 and what his auto went for last night - I was going to bid last night and mixed up the time zones and missed the ending by 4 minutes.
    Ruth Auto item #10:
    Mike
    Mike
  • My question with tose is authenticity. The 'R' in Ruth looks off to me (but I'm no expert). Even with Quick opinion, you aren't certain until you send it in. And those already certified go for a forture (I would guess).
  • Hey Ray...that's terrific! I love your site!!
  • nice autos! i would at least get a ruth auto, best if it's on a baseball. by the way, the total for the three autos is $666, kinda wierd image
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
    Raymond
    I too have that kind of concern - I was actually interested in item#478 in which the auto looks better to me - I don't know what kind of guarantee they give but Coach's Corner if very reputable and has been doing these for years and a regular advertiser with SCD.
    Mike
    Mike
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Very nice group of autos! You are right about those 3 fitting together
    nicely. Other than Ruth & Cobb, I think Ted, Mick, & Joe have the best
    autos in baseball. Thanks for posting the pics!

BTW, I stumbled across this site a couple months ago, and maybe
    one of those prints would go nicely with your autos. A little expensive,
    but they seem to be high quality, and they're signed by the artist,
    Arthur K. Miller. Here's the Mantle.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    id like to vote WILLIE MAYS having the WORST auto.....tufu aeueu....or something....what is that?!1/1?!! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY HE SIGNS LIKE THAT???

loth
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done....Congrats are in order!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Raymond, how about this original oil painting?

The photos don't do justice since the oil painting is covered by glass and there was quite a bit reflection from the camera flash so the photos below look "faded out."

Photos of Commissioned oil painting by artist Phil Hanks Painting:

Mark McGwire Original Commisioned Oil Painting

Mark McGwire Folded Thank You Letter

Roger Maris Inset Painting

Babe Ruth Inset Painting

Phil Hanks Webpages:

Phil Hanks' Profile

Phil Hanks' Baseball Paintings

Orel Hershiser

Dodger Yearbook Cover

Steve Garvey

As far as original sports paintings, he is EXCELLENT and as good as it gets. I highly recommend him for commissioned works.
    A tad off the original topic, but I agree with Lothar that Willie Mays is the worst. Has always looks like "Steve Mop" to me...including the one I got in person.

? auto:

<< <i>id like to vote WILLIE MAYS having the WORST auto..... >>

Ryan, Dirty Harry - Mays aint the best but look at this one! One of my favorites to hate!
    Mike

edit to apologize to Raymond: sorry for the hijack - what does that auto say? L. Zing?!

Mike
    Stone - you are right. I forgot about Maddux. I have a few balls from him that I am going to go out and toss around the yard tomorrow.

• Maddux is terrible. Mays is distinctive (but unreadable). Hank Aaron's is very sloppy. So is Brooks Robinson, Orlando Cepeda, Phil Rizzuto, Kirk Gibson, David Justice, Cal Ripken Jr, Maury Wills, Garrett Anderson, Jeff Bagwell, Roger Clemens, A-Rod, Curt Schilling, Barry Zito.

But, my nominees for the 5 worst autofraphs in Baseball are:

5-Craig Biggio
    4-Rafael Furcal
    3-Ryne Sandberg
    2-Tommy John
    1-Pat Burrell

(Samples to all of these (except Burrell) can be seen on my website linked below)
    Raymond
    Considering that was an UD card, that Hank Aaron could be nicer - I agree - BTW, Nice website!
    Mike
    Mike

• << <i>Raymond
    Considering that was an UD card, that Hank Aaron could be nicer - I agree - BTW, Nice website!
    Mike >>

I find all the Aarons are sloppy. That one is nicer then many I have seen...

Glad you like the website!