Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hey, I'm back for a day with a coin.

While I was at a coin shop in Tucson, AZ someone came in with a bag of foreign coins to sell. The coin shop told him that they don't deal with foreign coins, So I ended up buying them. The bag weighed 2.96 pounds & also came with a lot of paper money including Bank of England notes. Doesn't England print the date on the bills somewhere?

Anyway this coin is in a airtight & I guess it has something to do with the Olympics.
Is it a commemorative or something?
Thanks,
Glenn
imageimage

3800 miles in 6 days and on my way to Gastonia, NC.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3800 miles in 6 days and on my way to Gastonia, NC. >>

Ouch! That's a lot of mileage Glenn! The coin is a commemorative 100 yen from the Tokyo Olympics.
    As for the notes, I have a few myself. Believe it or not, collectors find their way out (with dates) by looking at the signatures or something like that. Any "white" notes among them?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3800 miles in 6 days and on my way to Gastonia, NC. >>

Why Gastonia???
  • Options
    Why Gastonia???

I have to deliver some machines to a company in Gastonia.

Any "white" notes among them?

What's a white note?
    And Thanks for the coin info Syracusian!
    Glenn
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes..that is alot of driving--makes my back hurt to think about it!

That is indeed a commerative coin for the Tokyo Olympics, with a mintage of 80 million. The value from the 2004 JNDA catalog is 600 yen in "perfect mint state" and 400 yen in "Never used, small flaws condition". Someone at work translated those conditions for me and I take it to mean the difference between gem and not.

Anyway, at the current exchange rates we are now talking about $5.95 and $3.99--I got 101 yen to the dollar when I paid my bills yesterday--I was getting 120 when I first got here a year and a half ago.

There is also a 1964 1000 yen Olympic commemerative that is very popular and very beautiful. I don't have a photo handy but there are usually several on ebay. I went to a couple coin shows and a couple shops in Tokyo and these are very readily obtained at around $30-35.

Cathy

edited to add left out words (I don't type as fast as I think image )

• Options
    Just to add a bit to Cathy's comments - That was the first, and last, commemorative silver ¥100 coin ever issued (Y#79). Along with the ¥1000 Cathy mentioned (Y#80), it shares the distinction of being the very first commemorative coins ever issued by Japan.

This one is a PCGS MS67.*
    The '64 Olympic commems remained the only commemoratives issued by the Japan Mint Bureau until 1970, when - so to speak - the floodgates opened. However, all subsequent ¥100 commems were cu-ni, and all of the ¥500 commems issued from 1976-99 were cu-ni. In 2002 a ni-brass ¥500 set was issued.

The Mt. Fuji design remained the only ¥1000 coin minted in the 20th Century. Two more were struck for the World Cup in 2002, and two colorized (image ) ones were issued last year.

Beginning with the first of my sig line coins, Japan has now issued a number of NCLT gold and silver with denominations ranging from ¥5,000-100,000.

BTW - when I was living in Japan the legal exchange rate was ¥360=$1, but you could frequently get as high as ¥450-500 on the black market, especially if you had greenbacks to trade instead of the funny money the Army called "Military Payment Certificates". A $1 carton of cigarets from the PX was usually good for ¥750-1,000. Ahhhhhh, for the good old days.image

*SSP PM me if you're interested in having one to call your own - I have several tarnished (oops - toned) or white, AU to gem BU, at reasonable prices or preferably for trade.

Edited to correct a stupid mistake.imageimage
    Roy