Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this coin whizzed....

Herb
Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    My gut says no. It is my understanding that whizzed coins are well worn, with major loss of luster, and the whizzing is intended to create artificial luster. This coin looks like it should still have some original luster. However, the picture seems to show a strange look to its luster. Do any stars, letters, or the date show ridges on one side or the other?
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin looks just like my 1896 that came back from PCGS in BB for cleaning.
    Ken
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    "Do any stars, letters, or the date show ridges on one side or the other? "

no, and the fields look good..

it's the look of the face that led me to believe whizz

Herb

I guess if it was whizzeds, I would see evidence in the fields also, correct??
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the face was thumbed. If it had been whizzed, there should be some ridges (maybe very minute) on some of the devices.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks cleaned to me??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I have a NGC holder MS-65 which has the same grainy surface on the face.
    I thought wizzed was usually a very smooth polished surface.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    It does not look whizzed to me. Whizzing leaves a un-mistakable, fake gloss that doesn't look like the natural mint luster. It would show on other parts of the coin and not just on the face of Anna.image

I wanted to add that the pattern you see on the face almost looks cloth-like and could have been something in the minting process. You say the fields and all look good how about the reeding on the coin? I know a friend of mine that had a Morgan where the reeding was very unusual and it turned out to be a counterfeit coin.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    No way that coin looks whizzed.

Cleaned? That's a different story.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That coin does look cleaned, and I suspect it would get a BB at PCGS or NGC. It's not whizzed, looks more like over dipped to me. Here is an example of a whizzed coin, using the wire brush method, before dremel tools became cheap:

1904-O Whizzed with wire brush

It has since retoned, but no amount of toning is going to hide the obscene thing that was done to that coin.
    Here's a couple of pictures of an 1881-S which shows a similar graininess on the face. This coin
    is in an NGC MS-65 holder.

didn't bother to adjust the color on these, btw.
    If this is a new variety, I'd like to call it the "5 o'clock shadow" image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is a new variety, I'd like to call it the "5 o'clock shadow" image >>

Why, is Anna taking male hormones?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herb: Although it's always tough to properly diagnose from the digital images, in my opinion your 1878-7TF Morgan appears to have been abrasively cleaned but not wire brushed.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Hey K6AZ,
    I recognize that coin.... as a matter of fact I sold it to you as .... whizzed. Nice to see an example made of it!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Amazing how years after I dumped all my problem coins I was looking to buy some purposely - to demonstrate to new collectors. I'm still looking for a couple of good examples of tooled Morgans if anyone has any that they would like to unload.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    here's a bad wizz job. good ones will diplay a satiny appearance with nice fields-b/c shallow contact marks have been wizzed out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file