Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Non-PSA dealer

I just returned from a small local show. My collecting goals right now are very narrow. I am working on three 1969 baseball sets; 1 PSA graded, 1 raw near-mint and 1 raw ex-mint. Therefore, my primary goal was to complete my third set, my secondary goal was to find some cards for my second set and, lastly, to look for PSA or raw cards worthy of grading for my PSA set.

The lone vintage dealer had raw and graded cards. His grading company of choice was not PSA. When he saw my spreadsheet, he noticed that I collect PSA cards and began extolling the benefits of his company of choice. I responded that although the holders are nice, the only graded cards I collect are PSA. He continued to discuss the benefits which included purported tougher grading and higher resale value over PSA. I told him that I have 60% of the set in PSA slabs and reminded him that I was not looking for cards from any other company.

To make a long story short, he continued his speech and I ended up by only buying 2 cards. (I needed 3 for my third set.) They were nice near-mint examples. If he had respected my buying preference, I would have looked for additional cards. I felt that he was quite rude to impose his opinions on me when I hadn’t asked for them. Add grading companies to the list of religion and politics as things that should only be discussed when asked about.

My two cents. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• Options
    Zodiac,

I go through stuff like that all the time. These dealers are just trying to get you to fall for the same line of B.S. that they fell for when they had their cards. It's almost like they are trying to make sure that they're not the only suckers in the hobby world that are peddling "lower level" graded cards. I can't count how many times I have asked for PSA graded cards and some dealer shows me their stash of "Professionally" graded cards that are slabbed in four-screw screwdowns and have a computer printed sticker label on them. "They're just as good (or better than) PSA." the dealer says....RIGHT!

You are not alone in your frustration,

SpinRx
    PSA Graded Sets:
    1969 Topps Basketball: 25/99 25.25%
    1970 Topps Basketball: 81/175 46.29%
    1998 SA-GE Red Autographs 8/50 16%

Looking for PSA graded Topps Baseball card #69 from all years 52 to 04!

Always looking for PSA 5-8 of these!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he noticed that I collect PSA cards and began extolling the benefits of his company of choice >>

Zodiac
    Just curious - what was the company of choice?
    Mike
    Mike