Home U.S. Coin Forum

cent costs too high?

The United States Mint reported that the cost of producing the cent is almost as high as the value of the metal used to make it. If this occurs what will the mint use for alloys? Perhaps plastic cents will come into play? It would change the collecting world forever. Just imagine PGCS inserting a nice Gem MS 69 plastic cent into a slab. Maybe the government will start issuing "credits" like in Star Trek and eliminate coinage all together when costs exceed limitations for profits. This would give the hobby a real kick in the pants. Somehow though, I believe Proof coin sets will be around forever.

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they just need to stop making pennies.
    there are enough pennies in people's jars and coffee cans to last forever.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps alluminum?

David
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the value that remains in a single cent there simply is no need to make these anymore.

There are high costs associated with the rolling, striking, and handling of any coin and these
    costs may already exceed one cent. Even if all the metal or other material for the penny had
    no cost whatsoever it will be impossible to profitably make a cent before too much longer.

The use of this coin became a burden many years ago.
    Tempus fugit.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    This has been discussed many times.IMHO the Mint should discontinue the Cent after 2009.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • They should definitely stop making the cent. After all, what can a penny really buy? They should also discontinue the nickel, since a nickel can't really buy anything anyway. Following the same logic, the dime should get nixed too, since a dime is all but worthless. Leave the quarter, since you can use them for coke machines image

Surely you must admit, by the same argument you use to condemn the penny, you condemn the nickel and dime as well?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • << With the value that remains in a single cent there simply is no need to make these anymore.

There are high costs associated with the rolling, striking, and handling of any coin and these
    costs may already exceed one cent. Even if all the metal or other material for the penny had
    no cost whatsoever it will be impossible to profitably make a cent before too much longer.

The use of this coin became a burden many years ago. >>

My sentiments exactly. I have been a proponent of eliminating the penny for several years. The penny has no real value, and is not worth producing. From what I have read, the ONLY reason the penny still exists is due to a political lobby. So, again, politics rules over common sense. What else is new? image
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Surely you must admit, by the same argument you use to condemn the penny, you condemn the nickel and dime as well? >>

Yes. It really does apply to the nickel also now days, but the dime does still have nominal purchasing
    power. In order to make change in a world with quarters and dimes the five cent coin is necessary.
    In a few very short years they will be looking for an alternative metal for this coin. Let's hope they don't
    make the same mistake as they did with the cent.
    Tempus fugit.
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    In the May 2004 issue of COINage, David Ganz notes that the latest Mint report shows a profit margin of just .0002 cents per coin. That's still a profit of over $1 million depending on how many cents are struck. I mentioned in an earlier thread on the subject, that maybe it is finally time to switch to aluminum. However aluminum is more expensive than zinc. I think that the Mint's options are beginning to run out and I don't think they will continue to strike cents for any great length of time at a loss. I could be wrong about that, but their actions in the past (1974 and 1982) would indicate that they are not willing to do it. I would have to agree with the others that the cent probably needs to be retired. image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Just imagine PGCS inserting a nice Gem MS 69 plastic cent into a slab. Plastic in plasticimage And if they are plastic, what will about toning loversimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file