Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did I do well on this purchase?

Picked this up for $61. OK let me have it did I do good or bad.
The scan doesn't show it but it has green,blue,and purple toning around the edge.
The reverse (not shown) starts out green on the rim above bell and flows across the bell in shades of orange then blue.

Need to invest in a camera.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoldRush00013: I will yield to the expert Frankie Lovers -- but if it's attractively toned I think that's a big plus for a Franklin Half....

By the way, I'm curious why you have the 00013 in your nickname and not just 13? Are you trying to be a Triple Naught Spy? image (That's a reference to Jethro Bodine's Double Naught Spy act way back a long time ago in "The Beverly Hillbillies" image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

• I use the same name on Heritage site,Goldrush13 was already taken.
    So to keep it simple I retained it here also.
    imageimage
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    John I rate it 4 arrowheads... image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Thanks Don,
    Here's 4 arrowheads!

imageimage
    imageimage
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice arrowheads. Are you real knowledgeble about arrowheads and spearheads? I have a point that I found about 20 years ago.....looks like a knife to me. Will post pics shortly.

Edited to add pics:

This was found in a sandbar in the turn of a creek in Gwinnett County Ga
    imageimage

• Yes, that would be considered a knife,and a very nice one.
    I don't recognize the type of flint it's made from,but it does resemble Carter Cave Flint from KY.
    Where did you find it?
    I'm guessing from what I can see of the chipping pattern it's late archaic in origin about 3000 B.C.
    It's a really nice find ,thanks for sharing it!
    imageimage
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think you did fine on the Frankie. I bought one of the same date, mint and grade recently for more than that. Maybe I overpaid?

here are my arrowheads. I found the largest two on my grandfather's farm in AR. They would go out and plow the pastures occasionally and following behind you could find one occasionally. The nickel is a 49S I found in circulation (prob EF). One of my better circ finds.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Nice Arrowheads, spearpoints and knives!!! I collect them too, but just the ones I find. All of mine are from Ohio where I used to live. My uncle was a major collector has has donated several displays to natural history musuems in Ohio.

I've read it is hard to buy nice ones -just like coins. There are now many modern made counterfeits.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub

• Nice finds! I'm unfamiliar with points from your neck of the woods. My knowledge is with points from Ohio and surrounding states. The large point resembles an Adena point,nice material.
    Thanks for sharing!
    imageimage

• Merc,you are correct there are alot of fakes out there!
    I work for a very knowledgable collector who has 4 or five auctions a year(I do all phone bids)
    If you don't know your stuff it's easy to get burned!
    But you can buy outstanding artifacts for premium prices!
    imageimage
    Goldrush.......thanks for the info. This piece was found in a creek bed in NE Georgia, Gwinnett County, about halfway between Lawrenceville and Suwanee. It's the only flint piece I own......have seen several in different places for sale, but I know absolutely nothing about them, so I won't buy em. My moms property in SC used to be inhabited by Indians and early settlers, so I need to start scouring around her creeks.
    imageimage

Okay, to get this back to a coin thread..........I was in Robinsons Coins in Marietta yesterday, found a real nice 2 center for my Dansco and an unopened 64 proof set. Opened it up, found a nice AH.......DCAM reverse, not even a hint of frost on the obverse.
    imageimage

• Gacoinguy,by the way your knife would probably go at auction for $100-$200 on a good day.
    Creekbed finds are always outstanding,as they have never been subject to plowing!
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file