Home U.S. Coin Forum

Excellent Article on Doubled Dies and How To Tell Real Ones From Others

Comments

• Good read. Thanks FC.
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I never thought of the part about if the mint mark is also double, it is probably strike.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent reference article Frank! Thanks for making us aware of it and for posting the web link. This is exactly the type of informative educational type of information that I'd like to be able to share with others via the forum.

Do others think that perhaps we should create some type of Reference Forum in which we could post these types of links ??

I'd appreciate others' feedback -- Thanks! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • I think informative links such as Frank Posted are great and educational when looking for answers to coins that are not of the norm...also there are variations of doubling and different classes of doubling and sometimes coins can be of more than one class and this is where the problems arise as to trying to confirm a doubled die. Can you have strike doubling and a doubled die all on one coin , I believe you can and these are the things that Stanton and the other guys need to refference also, because it can become quite complicated in some instances.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree 100% with the comments by Stuart and dlimb2. Its members like you Frank that make these boards awesome. Thanks for posting the link (great one also).
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    ttt cause it's important

Do others think that perhaps we should create some type of Reference Forum in which we could post these types of links ??

I started that project, check my sig file

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • FC57Coins

Thank You VERY much !!! image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice article, thanks for the link.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Great site Frank! I have visited there many times! Jason is very helpful when you have any questions about Jeffersons. Really a great guy. I love this forum! I have learned something every time I visit here.
    There are some very intelligent guys and gals here!

That is a great article about Doubled Dies. I still have trouble sometimes determining Strike(Machine) Doubling from Real Die Doubling unless there are die cracks or marks to use as a reference in attribution.
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    dlimb2:

Yes, it is possible to have one coin that has machine doubling and is also a doubled die. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file