Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm interested in reading up on Morgan dollars.

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Any good sources out there?

Books or web sites.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Are there ever! But some of the Morgan books are expensive - and thick. Bowers did a two book set on all Silver $ - I should let the silver dollar experts weigh in tho.
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    What am I missing here, besides "THIS COIN IS 126 YRS OLD"?
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    Bowers' latest book is very inexpensive and a super reference on Morgans.

WH
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    image $100 for that what a ripoff.
  • DonovanDonovan Posts: 386

<< <i>Bowers' latest book is very inexpensive and a super reference on Morgans.

WH >>

I have this book and highly recommend it. It's only about $15 too.
    Other than the coin's optimistically priced - you ain't missed nuthin'!

- did not know Bowers wrote a more recent volume on Morgans. At $15, any book by him is a great start and will probably just make you want to read up on them some more.

This one?

The new "Official Red Book" series on U.S. coins is planned to include nine volumes. Q. David Bowers, easily the most prolific and arguably the best numismatic author of our time, has just completed the first. As one of the most popular series of collector coins, the Morgan dollar is a great place to begin! This wonderful book is loaded with more than 100 pages of fascinating info on the history leading up to production of the Morgan dollar and its design, the minting process, the five Mint facilities where the coin was made, government and private hoards, how to collect the series, grading and the market place, die varieties and more. Chapter 10 presents a date by date analysis, with information on pricing and population in numerous grades, as well as striking characteristics, mintage and distribution, and die varieties. 288 pages.

The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars. Soft bound. Regularly $16.95, Our Price: $14.95

???image

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    That's the one. He lists each date in the "Optimal Collecting Grade" which is his idea of the best combination of grade and price. Usually it is the highest grade just before the big dollars for a one point jump. A neat concept that one should consider with respect to all series.

WH
    It is a great concept, and one I try to follow; it won't do you much good if top of the registry is the point, but it sure helps if you're trying to work within a budget.

One in particular I remember is my desire to get a super VF '14-D cent (I did manage to about 4 years ago) - the jump in XF being so significant.
    Thank you both, i just ordered the book.

"Buy the book before the coin" image
  • try this site

http://www.vamlink.com/StartUpPage.htm

or this book

Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen and A. George Mallis

CHRIS
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I see you bought 1 book already. I also like Wayne Miller's Morgan and Peace dollar Textbook.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    For a non-expert like me, QDB's book is outstanding.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file