Home U.S. Coin Forum

For those of you who have a good deal of experience submitting coins

I've sent in 2 groups of coins in so far and am wondering about the amount of value for each coin that you place on the submission form. I would guess that a copy of that form follows the coins into the grading room and, if that is true, have any of you ever felt that the value you place on a coin might have some influence on the final grade. For instance, if a one point difference related to a large amount dollar wise, have you ever felt that a lowball value hurt you or a highball value helped you. The graders are human. The value you place on a coin could make it very obvious what you feel the grade is. In a borderline situation a higher value couldn't hurt. Any opinions or experiences?

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the grades see the individual coin values listed. They do know what submission level it is, so that may have some influence. If a coin comes in on an economy submission that has a value of $300 graded at one level, but jumps 10x at the next level I do wonder if that would factor in to the decision.

OTOH, they are spending about six seconds per coin average. That doesn't sound conducive to careful analysis of values for most of what comes across the table.

Russ, NCNE
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

You can put whatever value you want to declare. If it's the price you paid or the full retail PCGS price of the grade you think the coin is.

PCGS will charge you for postal insurance for registered mail for the total value of the order. If you get lucky and make a pop 1 worth thousands you can add additional insurance.

The only time it becomes an issue is if the coins are lost on the way back to you, then it becomes an issue with the post office.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I put what I think the coin would garner if it grades as I think it should/hope it will. There is a cost with the insurance on the return so I make sure that I amx it out as far as I can within the limits.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm with clack. Of course if my assigned values just break over a limit for higher shipping charges, I find something to lower by enough to save the extra postage.

I've had a $4,000 coin grade on a $12 modern submission.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Makes no difference as to the grade you get.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same, but I use replacement value, if the coin were to get lost, how much would it cost me to buy it back. Then depending where it falls on the shipping scale, I adjust. If its over the next postage rate a little , Ill back it down. If under the top of the next postal rate, then I add to the value till it hits just under the next shipping rate.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything matters in a submission from insurance values, the order of the coins, and what kind of coins are in the package (low end, high end, white, toned, MS, circ, proof, etc). I always ensure for the value of the coin in the highest achievable grade. Every % point in your favor with the grading service is to your advantage. Sometimes that extra few % can tip the scales.

I'd like to see a book on this someday but it won't happen until the grading services go away or the game changes entirely. Then watch the books come out by all the leading crackers.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file