Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm annoying my SquareTrade mediator

I neg'd the seller who I bought some coins from 2 months ago there were lost in the mail since he kept ignoring my email. He wants to get those removed so he is paying for SquareTrade to meadiate. I replied I just want my money back and I don't care where it comes from, the seller, the PO or SquareTrade who was acting an as agent for the seller promising the seller whould perform on the contract.

I guess he didn't like that idea.

Dear Doug:

Thank you for your message. I understand that something like this is very upsetting, especially when there is little response from the other party.

You have made reference to a relationship between SquareTrade and the seller. SquareTrade is an independent organization, and we are not a part of eBay itself. You would have to contact eBay directly and ask them about your concerns about the relationship between eBay and the seller, and I believe that the place to start would be Customer Support.

In the interim, I am waiting to hear from David and will let you know when I receive a response from him. Thank you for your patience.

Todd,

eBay has always taken the position that they are just a venue, and with their User Agreement they have successfully distanced themselves from any liability from damages resulting from transactions on eBay.

It is my opinion that an Agency does exists between SquareTrade, Inc. and the eBay sellers who pay to advertise SquareTrade Buyer Protection Logo in their auctions.

As a taxpayer, my larger concern with SquareTrade is in the fact that once they learn a Seal Member has started to defraud the public they modify that Seal Members logo so it will not display in the auction on the eBay site.

Since they can’t change the original HTML code as the offer was displayed to the public, they change the icon so that any defrauded buyer who returns back to the auction won’t see the Buyer Protection logo (which is still linked in the HTML source code for the eBay ad). This is a deliberate attempt to shift liability away from SquareTrade and on to the Federal and State Tax systems where people are forced to recover their money as Theft and Casualty loss deductions.

Anyway, those are concerns for the IRS and Government regulators. Our concern here is the recovery of my $673. David says he’s turned the claim into the post office and directed them to pay me, which is what I was trying to find out. Why he waited a month to do it or why he chose to ignore inquiries doesn’t matter now I guess.

I assume now he wants to pay you $50 to get his negative feedback removed. I’m looking to get my money back. I guess we’ll see where it goes from here.

Regards,

Doug
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Good, now that you have responded he doesn't get the negatives removed until you agree to it. Since the loss was caused by his shoddy packaging, he ought to reimburse you and wait for the PO. I suspect though that if the PO denies the claim because of the packaging, he will try to weasel out of it. Keep the pressure on him.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I think you should point out that he has conveniently ignored the bulk of your post about changing the html for the seal and ask him point blank to respond to that issue.

WH
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Wayne-

This guy is still a ST Seal member in good standing, so his seal still displays.

I learned they change the seal a few years ago with this SquareTrade Seal member stole $150,000 from 188 people and left the country.

They turned off his seal which had a protection of $750 (maximum of $5,000). If everyone who was ripped off put in a claim, my porition would have only been $42 (less their $25 fee). With the seal gone from all his auctions, there wasn't $150,000 in claims submitted.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it Relayer!
    Very nicely worded and not letting them off the hook nor backing down.

Please keep us abreast of how it goes.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file