Home U.S. Coin Forum

1931 s Lincoln. Good invstment?

I thought of buying a high grade 1931 s Lincoln cent. It looks as if this date has potential. Any advice on how I should go about purchasing this date. Is this date at risk for counterfiets?

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    There were tons of them saved. Gem red or better would probably be the best grade for investment.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying a high grade example, I would definitely buy one full red and a minimum of ms-65: PCGS preferably with nice sharp strike and booming luster. Any lower than that, they just are not that scarce. Actually 600 plus graded by PCGS in 65 red.

Here is the current 5 year price bid/ask history according to the CDN for Ms-65 red

today-500/550
    Jan 04-500/550
    Jan 03-350/375
    Jan 02-375/405
    Jan 01-350/385
    Jan 00-255/275
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    The advice and info you've already received is quite good.The MS65 RD is an affordable grade for most collectors.If as I believe the Lincoln series will take off even further as we approach 2009,it would be a good investment.IMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mintage is low, but there is a fairly high survival rate in MS65 RED. The 1931-D in MS65 Red is tougher and probably the better choice but listen to a Lincoln expert. There are several that regularly post.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• If you can get a hold of an MS65RD (even better, an MS66RD), it's worth going for.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

You need a 67 red so I can pick you offimage

Stewart
  • POP

646 in 65 RD
    73 in 66 RD

I say go for the best -- 66 RD
  • Thanks for the help folks. It will have to be next months purchase. Wife has me on a strict budget this year.
  • If you are interested -- I also own a couple of 31-S in 66 Rd and one is going for sale in the upcomming Heritage signature auction at the beginning of May

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file