Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone wanna go into the Demolition business with me?

If you haven't read the front page of the April 12 edition of Coin World then you must! One of the headline articles details how researchers have found documentation of the coins put into the cornerstone of the second Mint facility in San Francisco in 1870. One such coin is an 1870-S Seated Quarter!
It also includes one of each denomination used by the Mint during that era. They were placed into a copper box. Jackhammer here I comeimage

Comments

• Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    One problem is that no one knows the exact location of the cornerstone today. They've tried to locate it in the past and were unable to find it.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    They tryed so hard to figure that out...I remember reading that they couldnt determine the actual direction of the corner stone becuase plans changed and building postioning was changed...is that true Conder?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there are only "so many" corners. Whack em ALL till you get the right one!!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Bajjerfan I like your thinking!
    No seriously, this issue of Coin World was pretty interesting for the article I mentioned and also the article about a ton of coins that were discovered in Vietnam!
    Some were from China, Korea, and other countries. Some as old as 2000 years old. Salvagers were selling them as scrap metal!!!
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The problem is a "cornerstone" isn't always in the corner and there have been changes made to the building over the years with additions etc.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested if you had a plan to plant the charges at Fort Knox, KY.

AND....had the security doped out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file