Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which of these coins would you rather own? AKA not all cameos are created equal.

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
The following two coins are both graded cameo. Assuming the asking price is the same, which would you rather have? Note: For those so inclined the answer, "I wouldn't want either, they're Kennedys" is too predictable. Try to at least be creative. image

Obviously, the second of the two is the clear choice. There's no real comparison. The first barely made it in to a cameo holder, the second barely avoided a deep cameo holder. There's an enormous range within which a coin can be designated cameo by the grading services. Yet, the first would likely realize substantially more money if sold in to the sight-unseen market. Why? Because it's graded a point higher.

The first is a PR68CAM, the most recent eBay example if which hammered down at $1025. The second is a PR67CAM, the most recent eBay example of which hammered down at $405. Quite a spread, isn't it? Many collectors are buying coins in the sight-unseen market now, and sometimes I wonder how many realize just how much cameo contrast can vary, and how many others just assume a cameo is a cameo is a cameo.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless the 2nd one is hairlined like King Kongs mother, I would take the 2nd one. I like the heavier Cameo, regardless of what the plastic says.
    imageimage

• The second is a much better coin by far
    Jim Chandler
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Assuming I'm not trying to make money in the short term, I would still prefer the 2nd coin- It's eye appeal is far superior to the first coin. Of course, the eye appeal would be even greater if it had an older date and a picture of an overweight and balding rebel... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ: I prefer the 2nd coin because the obverse appears to be a deep cameo -- perhaps the reverse held it back to "just" a cameo designation.

That's the kind of frost that I like to see on my PL/DMPL Morgans...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Great points Russ. Do you believe they are accurately graded at 68 and 67?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Interesting comparison. Cameo makes more difference in appearance than then the minute difference between 67 and 68.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Clearly #2 has a DCAM obv, but the rev as is usual holds it back.image

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting comparison. Cameo makes more difference in appearance than then the minute difference between 67 and 68. >>

Exactly!! Well-stated MGoodM3 image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you believe they are accurately graded at 68 and 67? >>

Yep, I think they got these right. The PR67CAM has a bit more shield chatter that the PR68CAM.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file