Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ever see a card age 50 years in 5 minutes?

A couple of weeks ago I saw my little brothers (8 and 11). I gave them each a pack of Topps Heritage, which they opened and rifled through the cards. They kept going through, reading the backs, looking at the pictures, etc. The younger one got a Nomar, and that was the biggest star out of the two packs, so of course they keep taking it from each other to look at it. Eventually they put down the cards and I got a look at them; the corners had dings, and I have no idea what they had on their hands. Looking at them I could only figure, "That's the reason mint cards of the star players from decades ago are so few and far between!"

My brothers aren't huge collectors, but they like the Yankees, and like getting cards. Seeing them reminded me of one of my favorite cards that I found in one of my boxes a while back: a 1987 Topps 1000 yard club card of Mark Bavaro. I remember thinking how cool I thought the card looked (it was glossy!) when I was little. When I found it I saw that there are several creases through the middle of the card from all those times I carried it around in my pocket, and the rounded corners. That Bavaro is still in my collection and one of my favorite cards!
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comments

• Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Futureman,

That is what card collecting used (substitute should) "to" be about.

Good story !!!!!!!!!

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I still have my 66 Topps cards of Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Killebrew that for some reason I thought it was cool to cut their faces out and paste them one card. I don't have the faces, just the cards with the holes in them!
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    FuturemanFutureman Posts: 135 ✭✭

<< <i>I still have my 66 Topps cards of Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Killebrew that for some reason I thought it was cool to cut their faces out and paste them one card. I don't have the faces, just the cards with the holes in them! >>

Heh. I don't remember ever mutilating my cards (intentionally) just being rough on them.

Does anybody else give high sentimental value to certain cards? Speaking of that, does anyone remember the old SNL skit where Phil Hartman was an antiques dealer in a shop that would value things by the amount of sentimentality that came with an item. For example the value of a piece of jewelry would increase if it were from a grandparent, who died, after raising the person ... or something like that.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.