Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for JRocco on medal pic

JR, when I first saw this coin you posted, I thought it one of the nicest designed I have ever seen. Just want to know what it is, where it is from and approx. value. Got the date 1854, but thats all I could translate.

Thank you for any info.

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I believe that's a pope medal (pius IX). It's pretty damn cool. Amazing engraving
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Speaking of Popes.
    Did you know the last time a new Pope was being voted on Cardinal Secola was eliminated?

If he was elected his name would be Pope Secola....

and the Vatican doesn't do endorsements.

Tom
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I have to agree with MGood.
    The 3d effect engraving is unbelievable!!

Tom
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try looking at this thread from the darkside:

Pope Pius Vatican Medal Thread

Extremely image

Here's another thread too...Linkage

• spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Thanks for the links, Stork. Very much appreciated! I think you added the second link that shows a link to the eBay auction, but it is long since out of their system so I couldn't see what JR paid for it. Any idea on this, or maybe he'll see this thread and answer.

Thanks again! I think I gotta have one if I can afford it!!

Way KEWL!!!!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • man, that's nice.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Spy 88. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I have been on the road. The piece is a Vatican bronze medal of Pius 1X 1854. It is truly a work of art made by the medalist Bianchi. I have sent the piece off to a fellow board member who is much more knowledgeable about medallic works from this period for his opinions. I have to say I have never seen a piece like this in my life. The 3D effect on the reverse is stunning, you could look at it thru a loop and take hours to cover its surface. I did not purchase this piece on e-bay. I traded for this piece with an old timer for some old colonial tools many many years ago. I do not know the value of this piece but I am trying to find that out. The piece will be offered for sale because I do not collect medallic art. I may trade or sell, not sure yet at this time. That 32S Washington in the picture shown for scale is more along the lines of my collection. PM me if you want any more info or want to touch base with me. Thanks Spy88
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    JR, thanks for answering some of my questions, and yes, I have followed all your posts concerning this nedal so know what you are doing with it. Did a google for it and came up empty, but wanted you to know that when you type in "Poletti and Bianchi" as mentioned in a previous post, that post comes up as a refernce!

I sincerely would be interested in obtaining it from you as soon as you find out what you may wish to sell/trade it for. We might be able to work out something. Will PM you.

Thanks!
    David
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    It is indeed a lovely medal!! It's not unique, but I don't know how many were made. I'm trying to find out more info for JRocco and if anyone has references on Vatican medals, I'd be much obliged for a PM. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey David, I looked at the post you started "across the street" about this medal and I am frankly amazed at some of the interest it has sparked. I would appreciate it if you did find out any more info about this piece if you passed it along to me as I too am trying to find out as much as I can about it. Thanks in advance David.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    JR,

Continued efforts to locate further info on this piece has come up negative---so far. As mentioned, others are also very interested from the other side of the street and they are also looking into it.

Will continue to follow any leads that come my way and PM you with anything I get. I won't quit til I know from my searching or someone elses findings!

David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file