Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cameras with Macro

As I may be in the market for another camera, I am going to ask everyones help in making a decision on which make/model is best for coin close-ups.

I know almost everybody here has a camera for their coin pics and other things, but I wanted to focus on the different capabilities of everyones macro setting to get a fair assessment of just how good a close-up each type of camera make/model can do with a coin. Not worried about luster or color as these are too intangible, but all should be able to give their cameras best photo at the highest macro setting.

If you use any after-market lens attachments or loupes in front of the stock lens to get your close-ups, please don't. Only looking for what the camera is capable of doing on its own.

So here is the assignment! One pic! One nic! Use a Jeff nickel and focus on the reverse step area. Any nickel will do but keep them raw. No slab shots. Also, if you use the same camera for other personal pics, please give me your reasons for liking/not liking it.

Here is the best my Canon G2 can do without help.
Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I'll let you know when I get a camera image
    -George
    42/92
  • Olympus C-5050, raw nickel, no setup for this shot. Camera was on the SHQ file setting, i.e. I can go to the RAW setting, but those files are absurdly large. Also note image was converted to *.jpg, which means at least minor detail was lost.

Edited: I think I'm going to try the RAW setting this weekend. But those files are so big I don't know who uses them. For example, on my High Quality setting, a 256 MB xD card can hold 210 photos. On Super High Quality, 71 photos. On RAW, only 33 photos, and it takes at least 7 seconds to write it to the card. So what is RAW used for?

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Sony FD75. Old camera and pocket change nickel shot freehand. image
  • Sequitur
    Wow, Nice PIC! What are you doing up this late hour???
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Sequitur ....... Damn !!! That's freakin' close !!!

Nice shot!

Ok ... here's a challange....... Lets see a pic of the camera.

• ok .... i'm humbled LOL

What's one of those co$t ?

• Seriously, NO skill in taking that shot at all -- it's all camera, and forum folk who know what they're doing will destroy that one. All I did was put the camera on "supermacro," put the coin a couple inches away, and snap the photo.

One thing I've found that is critical to a sharp photo on macro or supermacro is to NOT touch or hold the camera when you take the photo -- any decent camera nowadays comes with a remote. So prop or otherwise steady your camera, then use the remote when you're shooting closeups -- it makes an enormous difference in image sharpness.

What are you doing up this late hour???

Southern Cal. And it's raining.

Edited: it cost around $500 when I bought it, but I think it's come down some, so you should do better. Best bet is to order online -- don't waste your time at a national chain unless they have a sale.

• Have you thought about a PixeLink? It runs about $2500.00 but, it includes the software. Youn will need a "firewire" connection to a computer. to make it happen.
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Have you thought about a PixeLink?

I hope this isn't a San Francisco thing, 'cause I have no idea what that is.

• That's funny. Actually, the camera is set up for proffesional use within the educational community.
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Sony Mavica. Most of the time I use a loupe infront of the lens for that extra "umph" but this picture is taken solely with the macro setting on the camera...no loupe used.

• You're not kidding with PixeLink. The website has some amazing photos.

• Sequitur. You surprised me... That is a hell of a good Photo!!!!!!
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Ha -- that's not mine, it's from the Pixelink website! And man have we hijacked this thread. Spy88's gonna be pissed when he sees this in the morning.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Here are the three so far when made about the same size- hight and width.

imageimage

imageimage

So far I think its who has the better struck coin image

Added cocoinut's.
    Added one from across the street.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were taken with Sequitur's little brother, an Olympus Camedia C-740 Ultra-zoom. It's only 3.2 megapixels, but has a 10X optical zoom, and 3X digital zoom.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I have a Fujifilm S5000 that does GREAT shots!

See what you think. I overcompressed the shot of the cat. In full size, you can see every hair!
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Sequitur, I didn't mean raw on the camera, I meant a raw Jeff, not slabbed. And not to worry about getting PO'ed. Still seeing good pics, even if they are SAEs and stamps!

Here is a pic from across the street, where I proposed the same question.

Fuji FinePix S7000 w/supermacro. $500. Down-sized from over 150 kb just to load here! Best close-up so far!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    ttt for JrGMan. Might help in his choice of a camera.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Thx.... I'm looking at the Fuji FinePix A210... but, no one here has been able to give me a definate yes or no if this is a good low-level camera for coin pictures or not... if I can find it, I'm gonna get one like Russ'... the Ricoh RDC-4200 or 4300, preferrably the 4200...
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file