Home U.S. Coin Forum

Santa Clara Show.... Flowing Hair Dollar slab grade updated

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
There was a bit of a fiasco at the gate this morning. This was the first time they opened to the public on Thursday. Well, we all thought it opened at 10:00, when in fact it didn't open till noon. To try and make this shorter we weren't too happy. Mr. Mark Feld was at the gate a few times. I think he was checking to see if he would be able to see me grumpy in person. Nope, didn't give him the pleasure because somebody else was yelling at them, so I just stood back and once in a while said "Yeah, what that guy just said." they made it all good and opened for us at 11:00 and didn't charge us.

Stopped and talked with the PQ Dollars guys. Mainly Steve (RKfish?) and he's a nice guy unlike me. He showed me a couple under-graded coins that he was keeping for his own stash I believe. They were sharing a table with one of my local dealers Don Rinkor... DMPL Don.

Stopped at Larry Sheppard's table. What a site to behold. I didn't pay much attention to the beautiful Morgans he had because the commems made my jaw drop. A set of nicely toned Stone Mountains in MS67.
A set of Oregon's in MS68 with beautiful color. Had to move on though and didn't even ask the price. He was glad to show them to me though.

Mike DeFalko? (Coingame 2000) what a character. I still don't think he's even set up. He's still thinking about fishing and some animal at the zoo he told me about. I better not go into detail and I forget the name of it. Maybe he'll tell you folks!!!

Didn't have much time to stay so I made a quick stroll or two. When I saw the coin and the dealer I was looking for..... someone was looking at it. I thought great, this guy will buy it. After he looked for a while (and he liked it) he was starting to hand it back to the guy as I said I'll take a look. I hadn't bought from this guy and since it was a fair amount of money I yelled over to Mike DeFalko since he was close to say I was good for the check. After Mike hesitated, he said I was "Probably" OK. Hey thanks Mike (wink)

Pretty good show and I really didn't pay much attention if it was crowded as I had to keep moving.

That's all I have right now as I need to go get some work done for playing all day today.

Grade my Franklin????

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    the bell lines are incomplete.... sorry.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    WOW - Not bad for a grumpy old guy on his first day! image Fantastic looking coin! Given the age of that coin, I'd say XF - Whatever the grade - she's definitely a looker! image

We'll forgive you for your Franklin crack since the coin was made just after he passed away image
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention.. it's a Franklin Dollar.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB-27. Nice coin.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    LOL...very nice, for a Franklin. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a Franklin I can appreciate. Did you see any gold Franklins?
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Cool "Frankie" - looks like it might have been the first one struck, too. image

I was deeply disappointed to see that Stman was NOT grumpy, even under trying circumstances. image

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's only so many of those to go around in their original, untampered state. I'd call it a strong FN15.

peacockcoins

• rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    It was finally nice to meet Stman and I can truely say he was not grumpy !!image

and I will pass on grading the Frankie and it was a beaut !!imageimage
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, nice coin! I'd call it Fine 15+, a good argument for a grade like Fine-17 or 18. I could see them calling it Fine-12 if the little circulation marks bother them, but IMO if it's in a 12 holder, that's super PQ!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Thanks for the kind words folks. RKfish, it was a pleasure to meet you guys as well. Some very impressive inventory you have also.

Sorry about calling this a Franklin. That wasn't fair I know. To compare what I feel is the holly grail of Numismatics to an ummm.... Franklin, just isn't right.

This coin was on consignment to the dealer (I know many dealers always say that) but I believe it must have been in a collectors hands for some time. I also know the dealer didn't have it long. This first generation slab is in great condition so I'm sure it hasn't changed hands much if at all. I'm not a crack-out type of guy but I truly have seen a few with this detail in F-12- F-15 holders. I'm pleased to leave it as is. Of course I had to pay Fine money, but as many of you know these don't usually trade at sheet prices. If you find a nice original honest coin like this and won't pay more than sheet price..... well, you're not gonna own one.

I really enjoy the subtle gold, rose, and blue colors this coin has.

The circulation marks don't bother me a bit because it is indeed a circulated piece. And EVP was correct it is a BB-27. A common variety, but as Braddick stated there aren't a lot of these with an unmolested surface to be found in any grade.

• CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Flowing hair coins really retain the character and charm of the design in lower grades, unllike a lot of other designs.

CG
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    STMan: Nice Flowing Hair Dollar! Good pickup image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Every time I see a coin like this I say: "I should get one of those, those are cool." Well, that list of coins I should get is getting pretty long.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    Forgot to mention.... due to this coin being in this type holder, at least I can peak on the edges and see the lettering. Unlike the current holders. Doesn't rattle around either.

RYK.... yes there was indeed plenty of Gold pieces at the show. Wish I could go back and spend some time but the San Fransisco traffic drives me nuts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file