Home U.S. Coin Forum

1909 Lincoln "Matte Proof" Question:

Does anyone have good pics of an actual 1909 Lincoln Matte Proof that shows the atributes that distinguish it from a "regular" strike?
Or maybe a link to a site that does ?

Comments

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Well, I don't have a 1909, but I have a 1910 matte proof graded by ANACS. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Here is a really nice 1916 matte proof. I saw the picture somewhere and saved it.

Square, flat rims are one thing to look for. The field will be flat and the go up at a right angle to the rim. The rim will be squared off and sharp. On a business strike, the field curves up some towards the rim. The rims are a bit rounded and will not feel sharp.

The entire coin will have a matte proof finish. It is like a fine grade sandpaper. It will not have cartwheel luster like a business strike. It has more like a glowing luster. Plus, the busines strike will have die flow lines that can be seen near the rims.

The strike on a matte proof is complete. All the letters will be complete and tall. Lincoln also seems to have more detail in his hair and beard. Business strikes may have some incompleteness in the details and letters. Plus the letters are slightly rounded and not as squared off as on a proof.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Thanks Merc image

If you remember please shoot me an email or PM when you get the other pics up.

ss350camaro@hotmail.com

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    nice coin merc!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • image one more time
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have a PCGS 1909 Matte Proof in PR64 RB,but I can;t post pics.DMWJR can post pics and he has one of the finest.PM him and ask him to send them to you.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
    Sorry, I had no time to photograph today. I was in the lab for 12 hours yesterday. Then I worked all day until 7 tonight. I'll try for tomorrow. The good news is my PhD dissertation is done!!!
    FrederickCoinClub
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of the crescent, from a vdb in PR66rb:

I have sold this coin, and I believe is currently for sale by a dealer if anyone is interested.

Hopefully, I can take some better pics of my new proof vdb, and post those as well.

Doug
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merc, that is Tim Liston's 1916. It's in a 66rb holder, but is really a 66red with color -- not brown. I love that coin.

Doug
    Doug
  • I don't know about merz2's 1909.,but I own his 1952 pr64rd,as of today:64hah!Enjoyed meeting you,merz.
    As usual it was a real pleasure meeting another board member.Your knowledge is as good as my own,maybe better.I am certainly glad you concur with me on that Proof Lincoln.David Hall seems to pick and choose what criteria will be used to grade a proof coin at will.One day we collectors will get a fixed set of rules to go by.Then we'll stop wasting our money.image
    Don
  • David Hall simply needs to make sure only his "condition rarity" pieces get the grade first,at all other submitters' expense.Capitalist society and all that. I'm jealous I didn't corner the market first. So, all we can do is read, read, and read and study some more. I will certainly let you know NGC opinion.
    I took some pictures of my 1910 matte proof Lincoln. You can see the tall sharp letters and the greater detail in the hair and beard. Still it is hard to tell just from the pictures it is a matte proof. ANACS gave it PF63 RB.

Wow, Doug, you know your coins. I just showed a picture and you knew who had it.
    FrederickCoinClub
  • The 1916 proof that was linked a few entries ago, yes it is mine. The picture is not hard to find, just check out my matte proof cent set in the registry – Liston One. It is a very nice cent and a VERY nice set. The 1916 was also pictured in a January, 2003 issue of Coin World, in an article about the PCGS set registry. As Doug knows I have two sets, see also Liston Two in the registry. I believe in the RB cents although obviously if I had believed in the RD cents I would be quite a bit better off financially, but I do love the sets. They are well matched and very pretty, and all nine coins in Liston One are in old green-label PCGS holders. I collected most of them over a decade ago. Liston One will never be pedigreed -- I couldn't bear to take them out of the old holders. Will probably never be split up either for the same reason.

I didn’t take the picture of the 1916, someone else did. I wish I knew how. I would take pictures of all 18 coins and post them. I just have had no luck at all capturing toning on the cents, and all 18 of mine have at least some toning. The 1916 is also pictured here (scroll down for picture). Joe takes great pictures obviously. He also sells great coins.

Also, now I’m gonna make a consigner very happy and a couple bidders very sad. The Albrecht pamphlet on die characteristics on matte proof cents – there is one for sale on eBay right now, and it was autographed by Leonard Albrecht himself. I have a copy and it is the best compilation of information on matte proof “markers” that I know of. This is the first one I have ever seen on eBay -- it is pretty scarce actually.

Finally, I need a 1914 matte proof cent in PR66RB or better, with even RB toning. Please help me find one. Thanks all.

Tim
    Tim
    Thanks for the info !!!
    Don
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Here is a 1915 Matte Proof Lincoln I picked up in the ANR FUN auction. NGC 66rb. Opinions are mixed on the toning. Some think it's AT, others say they have seen proof Lincolns with this color/type of toning before. I don't know, but it is attractive.

National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file