Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are the JFSNC patterns illegal?

I was looking at the patterns of the 1938 JFSNC offerings and got to thinking...
They say United States of America, 5 cents, E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, Liberty and look an aweful lot like a nickel. Why wouldn't these coins be considered illegal to manufacture under counterfeit laws? Sure it has incuse lettering JFSN - 2002 on the bust, but no where on the coin does it say copy or anything else to indicate it is not real legal tender.

Anyone know the law well enough in this area to comment?
Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
Current focus 1855 date type set

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question, and I'm surprised nobody thought of it sooner. I just assumed that the inscription sufficed to avoid a run-in with the treasury.

Russ, NCNE
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Not to mention they are made of .999 silver and have an intrinsic value of much more than 5¢. At today's price, about $2 worth of silver.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I should add that the reverse design classifies it as a fantasy piece, so the word "COPY" is not required. If the reverse had the current Monticello or whatever they call the new nickel out now, it would require the "COPY" stamp.
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Don't forget that they are all slabbed by one of the best TPGCs in the world! None will ever be released raw, so if you want to crack one and spend it, you could be breaking the law by passing conterfeit coinage!

On the other hand, you might be doing the poor Jeff a favor!image
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file