Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What was the "strangest or oddest" dealer experience you ever had?

Back in 1992 I purchased a 55T Jackie Robinson card graded NmMt by Strike Zone's Broadway Rick.
1. Card comes in screwdown with seals
2. Card appears slightly crushed - over-torque of one screw
3. With permission return card
4. Saturday nite 9PM! - Rick calls me and chews on me for 10 min's!
5. I call him back, after shock wears off - tell him he was rude
6. Rick tells me he is under a lot of mental stress and not himself - then who?
7. Tell him that's life type thing and anyone who advertises in SCD and says they are doing million dollar deals shouldn't be calling 'small time collectors' - not a good way to promote business
8. W/O my consent - sends card back in top loader!
9. I send it back
10. I get call - what's the problem - I tell them I wouldn't keep the card if it was given to me for free - don't do business with people who treat me that way.
It was hard to believe that a big time SCD advertiser would put me in this situation - but I'll tell you what guys, I've got about 4 more stories just like this one.

Anyone else have some kind of an odd or strange happening like this? Just curious. I did my best to simplify the experience so that it would be easy to read and get the idea. Thanx,
Mike
Mike

Comments

• such are the perils of buying raw...image
    1959 Topps FB Raw EX+/PSA5+
    1968 Topps Hockey PSA7+
    #1 Ben Troupe Collector
    Tradelist
    E-Mail Me
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Stone - that's Broadway Rick. Search for his name and Bruce Moreland on google and read the article. You could also search his name in these forums and read the horror stories about him.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • I bid on a pack of lou gerig cards (playing cards) on yahoo...won the auction and after a month of emails I finally received my item..1 single lou gerig playing card...an ace of spades...the seller disappeared, oh well, 5.95 later..it didnt hurt that bad
  • Back in the mid 90's I saw an ad in SCD where a guy was selling '90 Leaf commons for 10 cents each,(they booked at 25 cents each) so I called him and bought about 700 of them for $70. About 2-3 weeks later I see the ad again and call again to buy the cards from him. The seller tells me that he does not want to sell, and that he feels like he got ripped off in the first transaction. At this point I am a little miffed and ask him how did he feel he got ripped off. He tells me that he felt he did not get a fair price on the earlier one's he sold me. I explained to him that HE was the one that set the price so how did I rip him off? I then told him that I was no longer interested in the cards, and that if someone was that ignorant that they would accuse someone of ripping them off when they set the price they needed to sell something else. Incredible.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol
    Good for you.

• I had two Ty Cobb autographs, a cancelled check and a 3x5 photo. Took them to a Kit Young show here in Hawaii back in the late 90's to show around and get estimates of there worth. Mr. Mint Al Rosen said they were not worth anything. But would take them off my hands for $100. I eventually sold them for $1500. What a clown that guy is.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Mint Al Rosen said they were not worth anything. But would take them off my hands for $100.

Ed, that's classic! Good for you on that one!

Here's two in reverse for me.

Back in 1988 I traded a somewhat EXMT 1969 Reggie RC for a beautiful 1968 Ryan RC straight up. The dealer laughed at me because at the time the Reggie was double the value. He couldn't make the trade fast enough.

In 1993 I had a 1989 UD Factory set... a dealer at a local show "really" wanted it, so I traded it to him for a 1954 Yogi Berra (EXMT) and a beautiful 1957 Ernie Banks.

Flash ahead to 1999. I grade the 57 Banks and the 68 Ryan and both are strong PSA 8s!
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stone - that's Broadway Rick. Search for his name and Bruce Moreland on google and read the article. You could also search his name in these forums and read the horror stories about him.
    >>

For the Google challenged, here's the link to the article in question. It basically confirms what we all already knew about Ebay protecting fraudulent sellers:

Broadway Rick & Bruce Moreland Article

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
  • Back in 1996, I was in a card shop in Katy, TX. One other customer was in the shop asking the owner if he wanted to buy any of the new Post Cereal cards from 1990 & 1991. The owner wasn't too interested.

The phone rang and the owner took the call and after a few seconds, began whispering into the receiver.

I looked at the other customer with a quizical look and he grinned and said, "Watch this."

The dealer got off the phone and came back up to the customer and bought every Post Cereal he had for $2 each.

When the customer left the shop, I followed him out and asked what it was all about.

He told me he had his wife call the shop 15 minutes after he left home to inquire about Post Cereal cards, all excited that the shop owner might have some her son was looking for. The wife's call came while we were in the shop.

About five years later I was back in that shop. He still had every one of those Post Cereal cards.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was in a card shop in Katy, TX >>

Isn't that Roger Clemens home town? ...jay