Home U.S. Coin Forum

I met the Coin Lieutenant today

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
At the Santa Clara show today.

A very nice guy, heck of a nice collection of gold coins.

I had PM'd him to ask about some of the gold beauties he has posted recently.

Got to see them in hand, what a thrill to look at some of those coins.

It was a pleasure to meet up with a fellow board member.

I was suprised that the show was fairly lightly attended today. More raw coins than I have seen at this show in the past. I picked up a number of cool coins: Morgans - 1882cc (MS63), 1882o (MS63), 1886o (AU58), 1887o (MS63). Bust Halves - 1808/7 (EF40), 1819/8 (AU50), 1824/2/0 (AU53) 1830 large 0 (ef45) as well as the original design nickel from the "JFSNC" (PROOF and MS).

I almost picked up a nice f/vf 1795 half dollar, I looked twice, three times, four times ... had the money out and ready to go, just couldn't pull the trigger.

I also took some time to check out some of the PROOF Morgans that were on display - quite awsome. The 1895 that was the center piece of this collection was just gorgeous.

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, can't have a bad day when you're surrounded by coins.image
  • Actually... if you're surrounded by grumpy dealers and coins... it can be a pretty crappy day... or how bout being surrounded by a show's full of cleaned and/or damaged coins? image
    -George
    42/92
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I vote to promote the lieutenant to general, very nice personimage-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the show report - wasn't able to get there. How did the auctions look??

CoinGeneral....imageimage Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the gold coins one of these shows.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • The proof Morgan display was awesome. There was one that was very nicely toned and not graded cameo. It clearly was frostier than many of the cameos. I'd love to buy it at a discount image However I'm sure it would still be out of my reach as it was graded PR 68 or PR 69 or something way too high for me to afford.
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe that being a Naval officer he would prefer a promotion to coin Admiral and after meeting John in Portland I say we "promote" him to Admiral at least here on the boards. I am sure the Navy has different criteria for promotions!image
  • I outrank him...but his coins are nicer than mine...so I'll endorse his promotion (even if he is a boot camp image)
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man,

I just saw this thread... I guess that I have been spending too much time at shows!! image

I do agree with Mark about the Admiral thing, maybe not the promotion, but I would be happier as an Admiral than a general as I would have to change services!!image.
    Appreciate the support but I have a hard enough time balancing the chores of a Lieutenant and coins. If I became an admiral, well, I wouldnt have much time for numismatics.

It was a pleasure to meet you too Tom. I enjoyed looking through your type set!!!

I tried to buy the exceptionally original and beautifully toned 1796 quarter that he had in G/VG. It was SWEET!! The avarice kicked in. Great circ type set with lots of nice coins. Even though I enjoy gold most, type is sexy...

Glad to hear that the CDR P. endorsed my promotion, if he is with me I know I'm going far!! image

I saw the collection of proof Morgans and didnt care for them much. All bright white, dipped and they all looked the same. Just a personal preference of course. Looked through the auction lots and found a grand total of five coins that I might bid on. Pretty sparse... The 1877 Half was not very attractive BTW Mark.

Had one dealer (wont say who) quote me a price on an original seated half. He knew that I dabbled on the side in dealing and I had sold him stuff before. He quoted me 80$. I told him ok, then he asked me for my resale license. I told him I didnt have one and that I would pay tax on it. He said the price had change to 95$ plus tax. I got up and walked away. Couldnt believe it. He earns the a** of the day award, but doesnt really compare to the penny pincher from Portland... I think that he will have the trophy for a long time to come.

All in all a good show but I wont be going back this weekend. Tired and need some R&R.

Very respectfully,
    Boot camp. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file