Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever Buy Coins on eBay, Not Because You Want To . .

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
...and not even because you care, but only due to the low price?
Moments ago I watched this auction getting set to close and just thought the price seemed too cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3905682875&category=11955

peacockcoins

Comments

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Sometimes I browse the "going, going gone" items under US Coins and if I see something that looks like a good deal I'll bid.

But then after awhile you wind up with a box of stuff you decide is junk and don't want, but you've paid hundreds and hundreds of dollars for. image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I've purchased quite a few coins on Ebay that turned out to be worth way more than I paid for them...even a few raw coins.
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I have bought a lot of coins off of ebay with some being worth more than I paid for them. I even sold coins I bought off ebay that I didn't want for more than I paid. Sometimes, a better picture and description will sell a coin much better. I have done this a lot with ebay coins. There maybe something I see in the coin others don't and with a better pic and description the coin sells for more that what I had paid for it. I have set some simple rules for myself when I look at ebay coins and most of you may already do this.

1. I look at the seller's feedback
    2. I do not bother with coins that have poor or only a single image.
    3. I ask other members here if they have heard of or ever delt with this seller.
    4. I post links to the auction for other members imput.
    5. I try to stay in touch with what the going prices are.
    6. Try to have as much knowledge on the coins you're looking at and price.
    But most of all, do I like the coin to begin with? Like many others, I also cruise the "BIN" and "ending today" to see what is good in the last few minutes and take it from there. I don't know this is just my experience
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. A couple of times I've then waited a few weeks and resold them for a loss. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Absolutely.

And on your nickel set there, in the sellers own words those look like "nice coins" image

Ken
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got caught up in a bidding war one time for a roll of 1969 S BU Lincolns. I don't know how I got sucked into it, but I ended up paying twenty some dollars for a spotted roll of 1969 S Lincolns! Looking back and laughing, all I can remember saying to myself was: "The other person can't outbid me!" That roll sits on my desk as a reminder not to get caught in a bidding war.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got caught up in a bidding war one time for a roll of 1969 S BU Lincolns. I don't know how I got sucked into it, but I ended up paying twenty some dollars for a spotted roll of 1969 S Lincolns! Looking back and laughing, all I can remember saying to myself was: "The other person can't outbid me!" That roll sits on my desk as a reminder not to get caught in a bidding war. >>

Michael,

I want you to come to my auctions more often! image
    Ken
  • Absolutely, a couple of times.......image
    JoeCool
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    There is another side to this question too.

Have you ever found an item on eBay (or other) you really wanted but knew it was going to run you maybe more then $4000 to obtain? And when push came to shove, you were glad when someone outbid you on it as you really couldn't have afforded it in the first place?

Everytime I see a mint set limited ed. for a 1995-W SAE with the gold, I know I want it, need it to complete my original mint boxed set w/COA but DAMN, $4000 is a serious amount of money! Tried to justify the purchase---figure where the money could come from and how to get it, but was always glad I got outbid on them.

I guess the only way to do this would be to save up for one, set the money aside til one came along. But seems something else I want gets bought with this stash! Never get to the point of finishing the saving and then waiting!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    My fav buy was in 1998 or so on eBay. I bought two 1991 Swiss Mint sets that some guy had obtained thru a police auction. Anyway, I paid slightly over the current forex for them; like $6 per. set, The kicker was no pics, and from the description I wasn't 100% sure they were mint issued, but hey....roll the dice.

Well, turns out they were mint issued and I traded them for full retail ($125 each) in a soft market for some "real" Swiss bank-wrapped, unc. silver francs and 2 fr. at 10% over face!! image

Ah, for the early days of the Bay of EEEEE. image
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>There is another side to this question too.

Have you ever found an item on eBay (or other) you really wanted but knew it was going to run you maybe more then $4000 to obtain? And when push came to shove, you were glad when someone outbid you on it as you really couldn't have afforded it in the first place?

<< <i>

Yes indeed. It's like locking the keys in your car, you know you are doing it but your mind doesn't catch up...image
  • Definitely image
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    This one time...At band camp...I bid on this Stupid bent paper Clip...right ,and I won it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file