Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is he ??

Just a curiosity.......

Some of you older collectors may remember back in the mid 80's a guy who advertised heavily in SCD and was a copy-cat to Mr. Mint. He was a young, tall fella with typical Mr. Mint photo's of cash, briefcase, cards, buy-buy-buy, etc. He usually had 1/2 page ads. He acted big and I guess was for a short time, but later faded away. I think he was from NY, but not sure. I saw him and the bobble-head boy at the national in SF 1987.

The recent talk of people in the hobby in the late 80's and early 90's made me think of this guy.

Anybody know who he is and if still connected to the hobby?

BOTR

Comments

• Options
    ugh i know who youre talking about. lemme search through my old SCDs and see if i cant find his name
  • Options
    I think most of those guys burned themselves out ripping eveyone off. I once worked for a guy named Arthur at collectors stadium. One of the most unethical people I have ever come across. He would tell people their cards were worthless, then pay about 10% book (now that's what I call lowballing) then he'd try to sell the card at 150% of BV. Eventually people got sick of him and he closed the store. He's on ebay under the name metscape I think. I remember him telling me he was selling on ebay back in '97. That's where I first heard of ebay. I thought it was such a dumb name. It sounded like pig latin to me. lol. They went passed pig latin and became the big hog they are now.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Are you thinking about Big Bob, the worlds most friendliest dealer?
    He came and he went, and still owes many customers money...jay
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Big Bob! I bought a 1989 Dale Murphy Reverse Negative from him!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Was that the same Big Bob from Connecticut? He had a nice shop back in the late 80's, and used to give stuff away all the time with in-store contests. I won a 1989 Upper Deck factory set (still have it today), and remember thinking it was the greatest thing ever. He tried being a big time wholesaler of wax boxes and cases, but faded away by the early 90's.
  • Options
    I remember Big Bob. He got caught up in the overproduction of cards in the late 80's early 90's. Got stuck with tons of inventory and loads of bills. A decent guy who fell on hard times. Last I heard (about 8-9 years ago) he was working for a dealer out of Brooklyn doing telephone sales.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    WE HAVE A WINNAH!!

I received an email today who correctly identified the guy as Evan Gorodetsky from RI.

My bad in thinking he was possibly from NY.

Anybody know this guy? Is he still around the hobby?

GR189,
    Ah yes, those old SCD's! I can clearly remember a full page ad in the later 80's buying 86D Canseco rookies at $100 a pop..........and no it wasn't Zardoz.

BOTR