Home U.S. Coin Forum

Digital Cameras and Coin Pics

I'm looking into getting a lower end digital camera that will take at least decent pictures of coins in the $100-$200 range. K6AZ suggested that Fuji has some low range cameras that are pretty decent. So, I was wondering what specs to look for in if a camera will be good with coin pictures. Thank you experts. image
-George
42/92

Comments

• CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    When buying a camera for coin photography you need to get a camera with a good macro setting. Here is a link to reviews on different cameras. The site also has lots of pictures that were taken with ecah camera to give you an idea of its capabilities.image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    That's the site I checked when deciding what to buy. Excellent info.

Russ, NCNE
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I'm thinking about the Fuji FinePix A210. I just need something that will take decent Macro pics for coins, with good Macro Focus and decent color reproduction... Link
    -George
    42/92
    You can pick one of these up for $60:

And produce images like this:

Russ, NCNE
    I know some of you use Nikon Coolpix cameras... I was wondering how low in the model line do you go, before Coin pics become... blah...
    -George
    42/92
  • Still looking for help here... I'm looking at the Focus Range on the Macro setting for the FUJI FinePix A210, which is 0.3 inches to 3.3ft. Is this range acceptable for taking coin pics? If not, what is an acceptable range?
    -George
    42/92
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    sounds great....does it have a zoom??? i like the macro and zoom feature of the new Ricoh RDC-700 7 megapixels....but i had the lower end rdc-4200 and it was super for the money
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • ttt, still looking for the experts...
    -George
    42/92
    You can pick one of these up for $60:

And produce images like this:

Russ, NCNE
  • Hmm... ok Russ... what's the model number on the Ricoh? and can you take a picture of your picture taking set-up?
    -George
    42/92
  • have a look at the canon s400...it's a great camera...i love mine
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Fuji A203 works fine for me and only cost me $165 last year. I am sure that I can get better pics by playing with settings but for now, it's all good!!! See sample below..

the Ricoh RDC 4200 or the RDC 4300 are basically the same....go with the 4200 if you can it takes bigger memory chips. There is also the RDC 300Z and RDC-2 which do fine jobs at macro settings and coin pics.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    "ok Russ... what's the model number on the Ricoh?" Is that your main camera for taking those great coin pictures you are always showing us? I have a Kodak DC290 and it is a pain in the butt to get a good closeup. I have two lenses I have to attach and detach depending on how close I want to get to the coin.

Charlieimage
  • FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    moosesr,
    I sell digital cameras as part of my profession, and the Nikon line of digital cameras traditionally have better built in macro capability than the glut of other manufacturer cameras. You can focus closer than 1" on most models. An slr style would be better, but use a tripod and the LCD screen on the back to critically align your shot, then use the self timer for the camera to take your shot.
    Coolpix 8700 will focus down to within 1.2 inches, may be a bit pricey for you. Specs here; link
    Coolpix 5700 will focus down to within 1.2 inches as well and can be a much better price point, also has a current rebate of $150 ( link) . Specs are here; link

The Olympus C-740UZ has decent specs for close up as well at a good price point linkus

Hope this helps....

Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • I'm still considering the FUJI FinePix A205 and A210... their Focus Range in the Macro setting is 0.3 inches - 3.6 feet. Is this good?
    -George
    42/92
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. I've been looking for info on macro photography with digital cameras, and you have all just made my life a bit easier.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I use a Fuji 2300 2.1 megapixel I bought about 3 years ago. It can take great close-up pictures. I've seen used ones on ebay for $50 or so now. People upgrade and sell off the old ones. The only problem with all digital cameras is that they eat batteries. I had to buy Ni MH rechargeable batteries. No other batteries will last.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
    Any more experts around that might be able to tell me if a Macro Focus Range of 0.3 inches to 3.3 feet is adequete for coin pictures?
    -George
    42/92
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Macro focus range doesn't tell all. Shorter focal length lens' will create a wide angle picture which will effectively make the coin look farther away, so you have to get really close to the coin to make it big enough to get a good shot. My Nikon has that problem. It will focus to a half inch but you need to get really close to make the coin fill the screen.

Getting really close to the coin is not always good. It limits the lighting options because the camera gets in the way. My next camera will be a SLR with a good macro lens (like a 100 mm), this will allow big pictures from farther away ( a lot easier for lighting).

Sorry to confuse the situation. I don't know how other cameras are in this matter, might be something to look at when shopping for one.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    That's why I'm asking around for opinions image But apparently everyone, except Russ, has a couple hundred bucks to burn on a camera, and I certainly don't have that much money....
    -George
    42/92
    go with the ricoh. i am sure russ uses a RDC 4200..............he advised me on this model and it worked great.
    Trouble is finding a Ricoh 4200 or 4300 (Though i would prefer the 4200) with the power cord on EBay...
    -George
    42/92
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Great thread!!image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread. I've been contemplating purchasing a digital camera for this purpose lately, and had no idea where to start. Thanks for all the info.
    Imissed out on the camera I wanted by 9 cents... image And it seems to be a pretty hard to find older camera... even worse, I lost out to a coin person... image Are the low-end Olympus C-Series and low-end Nikon CoolPix Series cameras any good? The most important thing is the Macro ability... MegaPixels mean diddilly for what I want to do...
    -George
    42/92

• << <i>I'm looking into getting a lower end digital camera that will take at least decent pictures of coins in the $100-$200 range. K6AZ suggested that Fuji has some low range cameras that are pretty decent. So, I was wondering what specs to look for in if a camera will be good with coin pictures. Thank you experts. image >>

Not sure if this is one that Eric recommended, but HSN has a Fuji Finepix A205 on some sort of clearance here

It's selling for $99, S&H is $7.95, and according to Hotdealsclub, coupon code 711231 gives 25% off for new customers.

2 Megapixel, 3X optical zoom. $83 shipped sounds good to me. Good for coins? I'm not sure.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grrr.... I just tried to buy the HSN Fuji camera, and they are already sold out. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I might suggest that you do what I did. Pack up a couple of coins and go visit your local camera shop. Mine had models on display and I was able to view the coins thru the cameras display before I purchased my last camera. It is also a good opportunity to talk about the features and learn about the camera. You might also want to wait awhile and save some money to buy a more expensive camera. I admit to buying a cheaper camera the first time, a Nikon and while I was happy with it at first I realized cheaper is not always the most satisfactory way to go. It's fun to be able to take shots of your coins and post them but its even a better feeling to be able to take better pictures with a better camera.
    Actually, I'm getting a FujiFilm A205 from IdahoGal. She's getting a new laptop from Dell and the A205 came with it, so she offered it to me. image Though, I was looking at getting a Nikon CoolPix 950... I've seen them go for $100-$150 USED on EBay... but they have one of the best macro lens' without an after-market add-on.
    -George
    42/92
  • The same camera is also available at Office Depot. $99.

See if you can find some coupon codes for Office depot. I have one but it doesn't work for "technology items". i.e. no digital cameras.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file