Home U.S. Coin Forum

When did toning become such a major issue?

I can't remember toning being such a big deal when I collected coins as a kid. Of course, I wasn't into expensive coins back then. Cleaning was a big issue in those days, though.

Is it only recently that toning has become so important? Huge premiums for nicely toned coins, the NT vs. AT debates, coin doctors, etc. - is this all recent? Did it begin with the start of the grading services? Where will it all lead in terms of coin grading and coin prices?

Dan

Comments

• I don't know but I'm not a huge fan of toning myself.. Rainbow type toning just looks artificial and fake to me, and heavy natural toning looks ugly.. A light natural toning isn't so bad..
  • There appears to be a predisposition in the United States coin market toward favoring untoned or white coins over those possessing rich coloration, and it simply does not make any sense. It is only natural that old coins, particularly silver pieces, acquire various degrees and shades of color over time. This is one of the most charming qualities of antique coins that distinguish them from more recent issues, and I believe collectors who do not already do so should learn to appreciate the virtues of toned coins.

However, coloration is a powerful tool that put into the right hands, represents a tremendous profit possibility for those people we appropriately refer to as Coin Doctors. The parameters, which determine a coin to be artificially toned, remain a topic of hot debate, but for the purpose of the present discussion, we shall define artificial toning as any rapid chemical, electrical or otherwise unorthodox process, which produces or induces coloration on one or more surface of a coin. Since storing silver dollars in a Mint bag, an original roll, a paper envelope or an album allows toning to form over a period of many years; such toning must be considered natural.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    White ain't right...........toned is beautiful. I believe that there has been a steadily increasing appreciate for toning - especially what is generally considerd to be eye appealing or attractive toning. Coins that are so toned, tend to be scare in compared to coins w/o such toning. Its simple economics - when demand exceeds supply, price increases. There are collectors that focus strictly on toned coins. I can think of one example who happens to also be a Board member. This particular coin in white is quite common and sells for about $75. AN example recently at auction was magnificantly toned - christmas colors in a target toned pattern on both sides. The coin sold for $2300 which is an amazing 31 times the value of a common white coin. An extreme example but nonetheless, a real one.

There have also been countless threads here and in trade rags about grade inflation due to toning. Its is estimated that superb toning can add 1/2 a point, 1 point or even more to the slabbed grade of a coin. That onto itself is sufficient motivation for profit seekers (and coins doctors alike) to focus on this opportunity. And that is why NT vs AT is such a topic of discussion.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    For me, with my Merc collection, out of 10 coins, 2 are toned. I do not blazer white Mercs, b/c they look dipped to me, I like a natural off-white Merc, and the occasional toner (Like both of my Mercs image ) but on older coins, especially Bust Coins... I HATE them when they are still white. Like, I'm workin on my Capped Bust Half-Dimes... and so far have bought 2... both VF30s, both with similar color... see Icon pic... this is about the only toning I accept for my collection on these coins... on the other hand, Bill Jones showed me this uber awesome 1795 PCGS AU58 Flowing Hair Half-Dime that was mostly white, but had a little bit of rainbow color, and it was a gorgeous coin! image
    -George
    42/92
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Here is exactly why I prefer white coins. As said earlier in this thread, toning happens. It is perfectly natural for an old silver coin to change color over time. A white coin (natural white, not super dipped) is all the more interesting, because it escaped the clutches of an environment that would make it tone. Just as people actively collect uncirculated coins, because they miraculously escaped the fate that they were intended for (that is, to be spent and used) I like white coins because they escaped coloration.

Not to say I dont deeply enjoy the dark gray and pretty colors of some toned coins, i just think its neat that there are still pure white ones out there.
  • puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    I would say to each their own.image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did toning become such a major issue?

August 22, 1998.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• When Hasbro re-introduced the Easy Bake Oven.

Go well.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I think this is an interesting question. When did toning, especially the colorful type, become so desireable in numismatics?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toning was a major issue for me in the late 1970's and through the 1980's. Back then, in the circles I ran in, dipped type coins were considered something less than a non-dipped coin. Dipped=unnatural. And those coins sat in inventories longer and brought somewhat less money....long before registries and PCGS.
    Color and the desire for all orig coins is nothing new at all. Monster color coins brought big premiums in those days too....though not as much as they do today on Morgans, Roosies, Washies, and other popular registry series.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I think toning became big when it became easy to show them (i.e. digital scanning/photography combined with the internet). However, I personally prefer undamaged coins:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I beleive more and more collectors/dealers are coming over to the toning side. When board members show their coins on a "post a coin thread" I have noticed that most of the coins posted are toners.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When did toning become such a major issue? >>

when plastic co's made it very profitable for coin doctors

K S
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When did toning become such a major issue?

August 22, 1998. >>

Cool! On my 25th birthday! image
  • Depends on what you collect, it was always popular in the 80's when I started and I have heard from others that it was in demand earlier as well but it depends on what you were looking for at the time. It is more out in the open today because of the Internet but there have always been collectors who liked nice toning especially the colorful rainbow Morgans that were pulled from the mint bags.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file