Home U.S. Coin Forum

Low mintage business strikes

In 1882, only 571 business strike $20 gold pieces were produced. It makes me wonder "why bother?" Maybe they were struck for collectors who didn't want proofs for some reason?

Anyway, what's the lowest mintage business strike you can think of? Do you know the story as to why they struck so few that year?

Dan

Comments

• LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    That's the ones they wrote down in the book. The Mint made another 2,000 to give away to their buddies out the back door.

(not)
    DSW
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my contribution to the thread:

imageimage

It is my 1883 $3 (ex-Norweb), one of 900 business strikes.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I think the answer, when boiled down, for most of these is simply bureacracy. I think the 1870s $3 would qualify with one known and 2 estimated produced as business strikes.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the answer, when boiled down, for most of these is simply bureacracy. I think the 1870s $3 would qualify with one known and 2 estimated produced as business strikes. >>

Thats the lowest I belive.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It does seem to be a why bother situation. I hav an example with a slightly higher mintage but an even bigger "why bother"

The 571 double eagles is $11,420 face value. The 900 three dollar gold was $2,700 face. In 1885 they struck 1,000 3 cent pieces, $30 face value.
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Full Employment for Mint Workers!!!
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file