Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has PCGS "Loosened up" lately?; Will the Hills soon be alive with the sounds of slabs crac

I was away from the boards for a few weeks (yes, doing real business - my day job) and, upon my return and review of all that I missed, I note a theme that PCGS might have "loosened up a bit." I see more 70's being crowed about on here (congrats, I am green with envy) and I see a comment here and there that makes me ask this probing question.

Well, should I start cracking all my near misses (not just 70's, but ALL the submissions I thought were too low). Is it a new day?

Mavens, tell me tell me. I'm all ears (screens?)
DSW

Comments

• They are not being loose with me. They just bagged one of my draped bust halves for "tooling". It's a choice original coin that came out of an ANACS VF holder. Maybe the early stuff is just too complicated for them.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I understand they are not being loose with Ikesimage
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    The increase in the number of 70DCAMs is not new. It started right after David Hall took over from Rick Montgomery. He has stated publically that he believes between .5% and 2% of modern proofs should make the 70 grade. The results over the last year or so have been pretty close that, with some denominations higher, and some lower, (size of the coin is a big factor). Under Montgomery, the grade simply didn't exist.

Russ, NCNE
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Russ, as usual, thanks for the info!
    DSW
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    an increase in the # of 70's as russ pointed out, if true, is a great improvement on pcgs's part.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file