Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

That's no way to slab a card...

???

and also...

???

If you can't secure the card inside properly, why slab it at all? That Beliveau's not going to be a PSA 10 for long with it's corners jammed into the edges of the holder.

Comments

• Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Some of my PSA tobacco hockey cards are crooked in the fashion, however, they are all low grade and won't affect the grade, but a higher graded card, who knows?......if PSA doesn't have proper fitting holders for some odd-ball shaped cards then placing the cards in some type of mylar (soft) sleeve would help...beckett doesn't have proper fitting holders as well, but the mylar (soft sleeve) they use does protect the card a bit.

At least the owner could have tapped the holder along the corner to straighten the card out before it was scanned.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree. This is the second time I have seen bad scans of kruk cards auction items. For such a big, quality seller...the scan/photo person for their Ebay ads is not doing a great job.
  • Options
    that card won't be a PSA 10 for long in that holder.
  • Options
    PSA really needs to straighten this out. This is one reason I don't do some of the issues (like Kellogg's). The cards look like crap in the holders. One would think that paying the kind of prices they charge for grading, they could encapsulate them where they are presentable and protected.

Here's a test: Strap the card to a paint shaker and let it rip for a couple of hours. Send the card back to PSA and request that it be reholdered. See if it is still a PSA-10. If not, PSA should be held responsible for not properly encapsulating the card!

This is just unacceptable and poor business in my mind...image
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Slabbing off-size cards such as these has factored into my decisions of which cards to send in for grading at PSA. I've sent cards to SGC because they have the ability to fiddle with the insert (Callahan, miscut T206, and a Topps card that was a bit bigger than most).

Adam
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

"Here's a test: Strap the card to a paint shaker and let it rip for a couple of hours."

It's been done

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Wow, thanks wolfbear. Guess there's not much that hasn't been done yet!

Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Why not just create an insert that holds the card in that holder. Is it that difficult? I think PSA feels that not enough of these cards will be submitted so they don't even bother to come up with an insert or different holder. Those cards can be damaged with ease. Just look at the scans....the corners are already in danger of bumping up against the sides of the holder and damaging them.
    CB4
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I'm resurrecting a dead thread to bring you this:

LINK

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Somebody was lazy at PSA. They could have at least used a mylar sleeve to make it harder to slide around in there, like they do with some other non-standard shapes. Somebody was also lazy at Kruk, but I have gotten some good deals with them because the scan was bad or they didn't bother to straighten up the card in the holder.