Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many mint bags does the mint have stashed?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wonder how many bags of each year/mintmark of statehood quaters the mint has stashed away for future promotions?
Does the mint sell all of the mintage of the past statehood proof and mint sets or are they holding some back for future promotions?

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They have 2
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They have 2 >>

I was thinking more like 200 bags of each design.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of more concern to me are the ones held up in the federal reserve system. The slower economy
    has caused vast numbers of quarters to flow back into storage. They use FIFO accounting and
    practices which would normally involve issueing all coins in storage before new coins but since the
    states coins have gone into production they have circumvented this policy to get the new coins into
    public hands as quickly as possible. To minimize the number of coins in storage they've reduced
    mintages to current needs which should make an interesting situation if demand should ever in-
    crease but it does imply that some new coin may well be stored in vast numbers.

There is a lot of demand for all clad quarters which may be decreasing this backlog by now, but as
    recently as a year ago more than 5% of quarters were sitting in fed or mint storage. Keep in mind
    that all the older coin have circulated and since 1972 none have sat in storage for more than three
    years because old coin is rotated out of storage first.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file