Home U.S. Coin Forum

silver broke 8.00$ today

13»

Comments

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Oh by the way, those loose silver coins are little silver Florida's.

No the mint didn't make them. I designed it and they were made in silver and gold years ago. It would appear the new FLA's are a weak knock off of my design BTW.

Yes, I'm looking into it.

TP image
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Something must be wrong somewhere, because all I see everytime I make my weekly pilgrimage to the pump is higher and higher prices.

Of course ddink, but you're smarter than that. Go to CBSMarketwatch and plot symbol C_EUR for the last two years. You'll be looking at a chart of the value of the US Dollar against the Euro, and seeing a 30%+ decline in the value of your dollar. That dollar chart can't decline without your gasoline price increasing, because over 60% of America's crude oil is imported.

• Good point fishcooker. That's what we get for wasting tens of billions of dollars a few years back to save the Euro as it was collapsing.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    At any rate, you are right about oil. However, nuclear power is a safe, clean way to make electricity. We already bury our nuclear waste under Yucca Mountain in Nevada, so now that there is finally a safe place to store it, that's one less problem to worry about >>

I believe that the Yucca Mountain site has yet to be used. Legal challenges are still pending. My Dad is a retired Geologist for the USGS. He worked extensively on Yucca Mountain.

Ask the French if nuclear power is safe and the answer is probably "yes". Ask the Ukranians the same question and the answer is probably "no". Depends on who is running the plant, I think.

<< <i>Dcarr made an excellent point. That is precisely why I am AGAINST gas-guzzling SUVs, FOR alternate energy research and development, AGAINST population explosion, and FOR reducing dependency on oil. I have a lot of ideas on how to do these things, but nobody listens. We always seem to say, "the heck with it", and continue to gulp down oil at an alarming rate by an ever-expanding population. >>

Well that just goes to show that no matter how much you disagree with a person on some issues, you can always find something to agree on. While I respectfully disagree on the near & mid-term outlook for precious metals, I agree that the world population explosion (and dwindling oil) is setting us up for a big fall.

The entire world economy is, essentially, geared to reward those who can figure out ways for the planet to support more and more people. In other words, the cherished "economic growth" we seek simply equates to population growth. And the unwillingness of politicians to tackle the issues is one reason that leads me to believe that precious metals and other tangible assets will perform well while fiat currencies will suffer.

If we don't control our own population, Mother Nature will do it for us. And when that happens, it can be rather unpleasant.

I own several cars - the newest of which is a 1972 model. They all have big American V8s. They are all tuned well and are relatively efficient for what they are. If I had to commute any major distance to work, I would get a newer (smaller) fuel-efficient car. But fortunately, I work at home and don't drive much. I've probably driven all of ten miles in the past week.

But I'm in the minority. I the future, I think we will see people forced to live much closer to their work.

• << <i>Ask the French if nuclear power is safe and the answer is probably "yes". Ask the Ukranians the same question and the answer is probably "no". Depends on who is running the plant, I think. >>

Very true. We just need to make sure that technicians are willing to admit to any problems. Three Mile Island was a total debacle with the powers-that-be stupidly denying a problem existed until it was too late to do anything about it. Also remember, those were second generation nuclear reactors, and third-generation reactors have been designed now (the Japanese love them, but American regulatory agencies won't let us build any). Fourth-generation reactors are in the works--we can't let outdated technology and poor management become the hobgoblin that prevents progress.

However, in at least one case a company sank over $1 billion in building a plant only to have the license denied at the last moment of the approval process. Once bitten, all our power companies may be twice shy, even if licenses start being granted again.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

<< <i>Lawyers, Guns and Money by the, much too soon, late and great Warren Zevon. image >>

Sad. He was good. One of my all-time favorites: "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file