Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding using other people's pictures

If you buy a coin, do you think it is OK to "steal" the seller's advertising pictures of it? For example, if I buy something on E-bay is it OK for me to copy the picture in the listing for my own use?

What about the opposite situation. If I have purchased a coin, is it OK for the seller to continue using pictures of it, even though it no longer belongs to him/her?

It all seems a little bit murky...

Comments

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>is it OK for me to copy the picture in the listing for my own use? >>

Depends on what you mean by "my own use". If you just want to look at the picture from time to time it would probably be ok. Using it to show others what you bought would be a little more questionable. Using it to advertise or sell the coin is definitely copyright infringement and is illegal.

<< <i>What about the opposite situation. If I have purchased a coin, is it OK for the seller to continue using pictures of it, even though it no longer belongs to him/her? >>

Completely different. The seller of the coin owns the copyright on the picture (he OWNS that image) and can use it in anyway he so choses.
  • Options
    I would think that once you buy the item, and simply ask the seller if it's ok to copy the auction pics, the seller shouldn't / wouldn't have a problem with it? They don't own the item anymore so they probably don't much care about the pics.

• Options
    What Condor said.

The image is owned by whoever took the picture. If you buy the actual product (coin) and would like to use the image as well, just e-mail the seller and ask. They will probably not have a problem with it. But, because of copyright issues, you still need to ask.

Also, if you go on to sell that coin and use that image to do so (with permission to use the image, of course) and the next owner of said coin also wants to use that image, you do not have the rights to give that person permission to use the image. The copyright ownership still goes back to whoever it originated with.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Unless when you ask the seller for permission to use the picture you ask for the rights for the use of the picture. If he agrees then that will transfer the copyright to you as well. Then you can grant its use to another person. It does not go back to the original copyright owner.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Condor is right on, I would like to add.

1) If I win an Ebay auction, I aquire a copy of the coin for insurance purposes. It is put into a particular folder and is not used for any other reason. If the coin is sold/traded away the pic is destroyed. (I might show relitives or friends the pics but never over the internet)

2) When I get the coin, I try to take additional pictures (I'm way behind in this tasking) I then replace their photo with my own.

3) In the even their picture is a dead on representation of the coin when I receive it, I will E-mail the previous owner and ask for the rights to the picture. I have never been turned down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file