Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regarding Giveaways ...

Goldrush's thread on his 200th post giveaway prompted me to write this. I thought a 1000th post giveaway was traditional, but I guess it's whenever you feel ready. I'm not knocking his giveaway in any way, I think it's great, but it got me to thinking about my first. So here are my thoughts...

I've sat back more than a few times and wondered what I should offer on my first giveaway.
I'm not a dealer, nor have money up the wahzoo. The wife and I are saving for our retirement and looking to purchase property, so I have to be selective of what coins I buy, and therefore, I don't have hoards of sets, proofs, slabs, etc. Of what I did have from my first marriage I had to dump at auction to satisfy the monetary hunger of lawyers and the IRS, but that's neither here nor there anymore.

I've seen some pretty nice examples given away in the short time I've been around, and read many threads of past giveaways. I've not entered into any as of yet, because I feel it wouldn't be right for me to participate for a chance to 'win' something from any individual of a community that I haven't really contributed anything to. After all, I'm a novice at this and relatively new (again), but I truly appreciate the collective knowledge of the folks here. Books are great, but the personal experiences and opinions I see here are just as valuable IMO, and I thank you all for sharing.

Would it be wrong of me to wait till my 500th or 1000th post to host a giveaway? Is there a set numerical tradition of posts on this? More importantly I think, do most give something away based on monetary value, or more of what they find personally appealing and think someone else might enjoy? I personally feel the later applies, but opinions vary. I would very much like to hear (or at least read) your thoughts and comments on this.

Craig
The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I think sharing thoughts and sharing what knowledge you do have would be more valuable than a giveaway. I'm near 3500 posts and haven't done a giveaway yet. It's not because I don't want to do it, it's more because what I collect isn't appealing to many of the people who frequent this board - what I would have to give away would be something that would be really valuable to some, and garbage to others, and I don't want to get into having to select something more people would like, but would be something I would have to go out and find. I simply decided to opt out of doing giveaways because I don't have anything to give other than my knowledge, and I try to do that on a regular basis. Knowledge is indeed king, and sharing it spreads wealth across the platform, not to some lucky stiff who happens to be the drawn name.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Interesting that this came up... I just recently passed my 500th post and considered doing a giveaway. Like Coppercoins, I fear that the items that are of interest to me would be of little interest to most of the people on this forum. That said, I am thinking of having one for my 1000th post. I figure I'll offer what I have to offer and if people are interested, they'll sign up. If not, it won't hurt my feelings.

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I don't agree that you haven't contributed to our community during your time here Prometheus. When you post, you have something to say. A heartfelt opinion is far more interesting than continuous blather.

Your recent contribution to my charity during the giveaway I ran was greatly appreciated and, I might add, your contribution was one of only 24 received out of the hundreds of members here.

If you decide to host a giveaway, I'll be among the first to post. In my opinion the value of the prize will be greater because another such as you saw beauty in it as well.image

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    I didn't do my giveaway until 1500... that's cause 1000 passed before I realized it image And it woulda been 2000, but I said, hey, I need to do a giveaway, and checked my post count and it was at 1499... wow... so I did it... but I think I've developed a good relationship with this family, and I've gained a lot from the knowledge of this forum, and it was a gift back to the community. Which in turn, my giveaway is going to a deserving YN image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

Maybe I'm breaking tradition,but the main reason of my giveaway is that I enjoy giving.
    The first week I came onto the forum I entered a giveaway and won a Coin Clinic book.
    I'm just trying to pass on my appreciation and maybe give some enjoyment to someone thats never
    won.

Promtheus, I agree with everything mojorizn says,you have given to this forum.
    I'm gonna enter you in my giveaway because you deserve to be in it in my opinion.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    goldrush, There is no reason to explain!!! When I reach 1000 post I will be giving away a colonial. I will attempt to convert some of these more modern persons to colonial coppers!!!!! It will be a tough sell but I'm willing to attempt the challenge. image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file