Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MAJOR NEWS FROM THE US MINT!!!!!! PLEASE READ FIRST POST!

AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
What do you think of this?

LINK TO STORY

EDITED TO STATE THE FOLLOWING:

I printed a copy of this and took it to the coin shop today. The owner of the shop thought it was very funny and faxed it to a few other dealers. It seems that not all of them understood that this was only an April Fool's joke and have passed it on to other dealers.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NONE OF THE STATEMENTS MADE IN THIS ARTICLE ARE TRUE, THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL'S DAY JOKE AND NOTHING MORE! Those who have been quoted here have had no part in this. It was written by me and is entirely my responsibility. The article is hosted on my website and is in no way endorsed by Yahoo or any other outside source.

I apologize to anyone who may have thought the information contained in the article was valid news, IT IS NOT!

The US Mint is not going to re-issue any rare date coins. No 1964 dated Peace Dollars or Franklin Halfs have been found. There is no need to call the US Mint, news organizations or rare coin dealers.

Again I apologize to anyone who took this serious and thank you in advance for your understanding.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    SLAP!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    That is almost too crazy to believe. Could it be a fabricated story?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    It would seem that the article is dated 4/1. image Still a fun read.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    OMG!

[edit] Douh!! It's an April fools joke!
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Just saw the server - you got me!
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options

What a Bombshell this is!!!image
  • Options

imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    We have a chance to own coins that would not have been released otherwise. I think this is a wonderful thing myself. It is only going to happen in our lifetime. Buy one or many and reap the the profits later in life.

Dave
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    You are a lil image
    well done on the eve of 4-1
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    April Fools!
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    may yer helmet melt image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Be afraid, be somwhat afraid. image

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Does Yahoo Know you Stole their HTML Page???

Naught Naughty!!! ROTFL
    J'har
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE IT!!!!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    I read one sentence then started looking for evidence the story was a fake =P (actually it was the mention of the 3-legged buffalo which was caused when an old worn die was polished too much--surely they wouldn't have saved an old worn die that was on it's last leg).

http://www.aethelred.net/0027.htm is all it took =D
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Very funny....image
    JoeCool
  • Options
    Brilliant parody! The tone, the concerned dealers, the plausibility of some unissued '64 Frankies sitting around in a vault. . .Thanks!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    As I was reading this, not truly believing that the US Mint would authorize the reissuing any dated coin, let alone a rare dated one, I was hoping that they would release the 1964 Peace Dollar minted in Denver as well as the 1964 Franklin Half Dollar.

Well, its the first time I've been had in a very lone time on an April Fool joke .

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

TP
  • Options
    LMAO!
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Hall then added "The Mint has had some bad ideas in the past, but never anything this stupid!"
    imageimageimageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Very well written and thank you for a great laugh.

Of course, the real laugh will come fifty years from now.... when some "numismatic scholar" is doing a google search and comes up with your archived thread and resurrects the story and asks:

"why didnt the coins come to market as promised? was there a secret deal made with pcgs to slab them, or did ngc out-bid pcgs for the rights, and ever since the coins have been tied up in litigation?"

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭
    I went back to the link to print it but the link is down. Did you take it down? Can you put it back up for another day or two? Thanks! That was a good one. I'm still laughing.imageimage
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

I almost died. I think I saw my body while floating above.
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    What in the HELL are we going to do? Anyone have friends (ex-mercenaries, mob hitmen and the alike) that wouldn't mind taking on a covert operation? This idea is ludicrousimage
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I saw this last night and I have to admit I got a rush of anger and disbelief. Very good.image
  • Options
    You got me - for about 3 seconds. Then I remembered it's April Fools Day.

Mike

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    If only it were true, then I could have one too!
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Oh cripes, I think my Mrs. is gullible...I guess I should take a long look in the mirrorimageimage
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I like the idea, if the US Mint makes the coins in gold or platinum (a commemorative). If the US Mint tries to re-issue these coins, that is a mistake and wrong.

If not gold or Platinum then a material different from the orignal material.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm finally gonna get to punch out the "RARE" cardboard tab on the 1913 hole in my old Whitman folder. I should get a chance to fill my 1895 hole in the Morgan set. Any chance I can get a Brashers Dabloon too?
  • Options
    Any chance I can get a Brashers Dabloon too? >>

How many do you want? What grade? Which service or does it matter?

They're going quick so you better hurry!

Rgrds
    TP image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    This is clearly an April Fool's Joke.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>This is clearly an April Fool's Joke. >>

No it's not! It's not!

TP
  • Options
    Was it ghost written by Sidd Finch ??

Steveimageimage
  • Options
    BRAVO Aethelred imageimage

Great April fools joke !!!

• Options
    This is great - reading the replies from people who are genuinely upset and don't realize it's an April Fools joke.

Mike

• Options

I HOPE THEY DO IT

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Options
    Of course if it were true, imagine what it would do for coins that are already slabbed. The only way you could be sure one of these coins was genuine was if it were in an older holder.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>The only way you could be sure one of these coins was genuine was if it were in an older holder. >>

Might stop the crackout game. image
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent writing!! Great April 1 joke!!

2 image

Ken
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    That die was on its last 3 legs.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    hahahaha...410 called that one

althered...you owe me a pair of pants

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I don't think legally the mint could do this even if it wanted to.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file