Home U.S. Coin Forum

A couple new Indian Cents.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
First the proof. Very nice mirrors. Nice coloring also. I photo'd it two ways. Dang, I just love proof Indians. Definitely my favorite series. Proof cooper. Mmmm.

First: Mixture of reflected diffuse light and a couple direct lights. Washes out the color a bit but has nice highlights. This technique works best for coins with luster.

Second: Pure reflected diffuse light. Good for color.

now the MS coin: The direct light and diffuse light combo works well.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Gorgeous coins Mgoodm3 - Now all you need to do is get it's Lincoln counterparts image

Congratulations!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure reflected diffuse light - huh?? Let me know what your talking about 'cause I like the results!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I love the picture of the 05. The material is obviously superb, but the picture is very well done.

Don
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pure reflected diffuse light - huh?? Let me know what your talking about 'cause I like the results! >>

Ok, The reflected light for showing color and mirrors is: I have three tensor lights close together near the camera at a high angle. I have a sheet of white paper under all three lights to diffuse the light. that produces a very even diffuse light. The camera is at an angle to the coin and is looking directly into the reflection of those lights. The images when first obtained look a bit washed out, but the washout is even. That can be mostly fixed with increasing the contrast of the pic and darkening it a bit. The key is to get a homogeneous area of light. If you put paper under all three light in the pic below you would have a pretty close approximation of this method.

The second method of mixed direct and diffuse light use a single light like above for the reflection (gotta get it pretty close to get a diffuse area of light over the whole coin). That lights up the fields and relief. The other two lights are at lower angles and have no diffusers. They provide the cartwheel and luster. Here's a pic of the second setup. The high and close light is diffuse and the two lower lights to the right are not. Camera's at an angle. I correct for the angle with the software to make it round again.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file