Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More Grades in and I'm not happy....

Here they are...
1 21519882 1798 S$1 10 Arrows USA DNC
2 21519883 1805 25C USA VG08
3 21519884 1904-O S$1 USA MS63

I would like to know why this $1 didn't cross and am not happy that they aren't telling me why. These are all cross-over attempts.

The Bust is in a SEGS XF45. It has reverse adjustment marks, but that is pretty common for early bust $s.

The 25C was in a PCI VG8, so that was good.

The Morgan was my freebie and used to be in a PCI MS62, so I guess there is some hope with crossovers.

What can I do to find out why they wouldn't cross my coin?

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Call. I have put a min grade of any before and pcgs didn't notice. So I called and they crossed them at a lower grade than they were.
    Do it before they ship though.
  • Options
    They aren't answering the phone, even though they are supposed to be there!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you're not happy, you crossed two out of three with one going up a point. That kicks the crap out of the average results.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    You didn't do to bad here Kitty......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    They never cross the most expensive coin image But actually, a 66% success on crossovers is pretty good. As far as finding out why the 1798 didn't work, call them like Placid suggested. In my experience, and this is an opinion based on my experiences only, there are a lot of altered surface coins in SEGS holders, a problem which is common enough with Early Dollars to begin with.
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm trying to call 'em. They keep saying that their business hours are until 5:30, but that they are closed. Does anyone know the name of one of these people so I can at least leave 'em a message?
  • Options
    66% maybe on same grade or higher only. I have crossed about 30 so far with only 2 dnc's.
    Maybe I am just lucky.
  • Options
    I said cross at any grade. If it has "issues", that is fine. However, I would like to know the reason that the coin didn't cross. Previously I have always been given a reason.
  • Options

<< <i>I said cross at any grade. If it has "issues", that is fine. >>

If it didn't cross, than yes they thought it has issues. The only time you get a DNC on a cross at any grade is if the coin is thought to be a bodybag candidate.

<< <i>Previously I have always been given a reason. >>

You must be special. I've never gotten a reason unless I called. Submission result just says DNC.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Or pcgs makes a mistake and dosen't notice its cross at any grade.
    No clues with his results.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I got lucky on my last failed crossover. There's was handwriten note "cleaned". The coin wasn't cleaned, however at least I got something.

I agree with the others. Not too bad. Maybe if you call customer service and lower the grade requirement they will cross it?

• Options

<< <i>Or pcgs makes a mistake and dosen't notice its cross at any grade. >>

Good point.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Call in the morning if it dosen't say shipped already. I think customer service starts at 7am pst now.
  • Options
    Thanks. I will call 'em in the morning.
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    So beyond a hand-written note, nobody here has had an explanation for a DNC? I've had two, and they both came with printed labels that had the reason stuck to the flip or polybag; e.g. "altered surfaces."

• Options
    The funny part about this is that the quarter that crossed I had sent to PCGS about 4 years ago raw and they rejected it for surface damage. I sent it to PCI, expecting a red holder, because I wanted it in a slab. It came back in a green one and now here it is 4 years later and it crosses. I haven't done anything to it either since the first time I submitted, not even a dip.

I am just irritated about this bust dollar because I specifically asked the dealer if it had been cleaned or damaged in any way and he said it had not. I'm betting PCGS just couldn't deal with the "double whammy" of a SEGS holder and those adjustment marks...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am just irritated about this bust dollar because I specifically asked the dealer if it had been cleaned or damaged in any way and he said it had not. >>

Uh, and you believed said dealer when he told you that? Even if you trusted this guy, understand that dealers can't predict what the services will do with any coin.
  • Options
    Hmmm. I am not a grader or a dealer, but a lowly collector. I trusted the fact that the slab wasn't reporting any damage, the dealer was reassuring me that there wasn't any, and I didn't see anything obvious myself.

Clearly I should invest in a good grading class of some sort.

This was an expensive coin for me, so of course I am bummed that I am getting a body bag.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    null

So............., you are saying there is a consistency problem??!!

• Options
    I guess so. Now I just feel like a jackass, instead a portly pig. Sigh..

I went out and bought the new PCGS grading book so I can get a better idea of what they are (theoretically) looking for.

What's up with the null link?
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Ealandg,

Some time ago, some of us asked PCGS to consider attaching a note explaining no crosses, or saying what a coin would cross at. D.Hall agreed in principle, and said he'd implement it as soon as time allowed. Currently, they're posting the following message:

Crossover Expanded Service Delay
    PCGS apologizes for the delay in the grading notification on the Crossover Service for the coins that do not cross(DNC). This is a temporary delay until all service levels return to their expected turnaround times. We think you will agree that getting your coins back in a timely manner should be job #1. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file