Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Latest email eBay scam Alert

They're getting better everyday....

Subject: TKO NOTICE:eBay Security Measures

Body includes typical eBay header and logo, with the following text:
We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures.

Please sign in twice. Once you signed in second time your ebay account will be automatically verified and updated.

Protecting the security of your eBay auction account is our primary concern,
and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Comments are welcomed!

Verify your identity

Your personal information will be verified instantly. All the data is protected by the industry standard SSL encryption. All information is required and is kept confidential in accordance with eBay's Privacy Policy.

Fields include Username, Password, Account Type, First Name, Middle Int., Last Name, Email, followed by an "Update Registration" button.

Actual Post Receipient: adelinaconturi@yahoo.it
Action taken: Forwarded to spoof@ebay.com
Reponse from eBay: Confirmation the message did not originate from eBay (of course not)

Craig

The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

Comments

• Options

Pretty sneaky
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    I just got this one today...boy did it look official!!

• Options
    Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye out.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    Most of the ones that I get are filtered out by the spam software, but I got one the other day that had an address of 'aw-confirm@ebay.com' so it got thru (because it looked like a real auction notice from ebay).

If these people put half as much effort into doing something constructive as they do on these spam messages, just think of what could be accomplished in the world?!?!?!?
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Just think how many people get scammed with these messages and how much these people get away with.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I got a nice EMail this mornnig that assured me it was virus-free because it had been scanned by "Norman Anti-Virus" at the Website of www.norman.com
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I was told by them to not answer any emails from what looks to be an official email from them. That they would give any info they want you to know about when you log on to the ebay site. So, I forward everything to spoof that comes in email. And so far 99% has proved to be spoof junk. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Try this, forward to spoof@ebay.com an email, any email and it will come back as "ebay did not send this". I read they are so bombarded by spoofing they reply every inquiry the same way.

So, I forwarded them an out bid notice I got from them and sure enough 12 hours later I get a message saying no they did not send it to me. Go figure.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    You all can just get ready to be bombarded...know why? Summertime- kids are out of school and brothers, the kids

nowadays, when it comes to computers, look like geniuses up against a bunch of old fots like us. Most of these hackers

creators of worms and viruses are snot-nosed teen aged kids..if that! These kids , by the time they are 10 years old

look like Wizards. Ever play one of these new Nintendo or Gameboy games against an 8 year old?

Be prepared to feel real foolish! Gotta go...I'm outta here for a bit!image
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99.999999999% of all email I get from eBay is a spoof. I never respond to any of it anymore.

I used to go to the site and fill in fictitious data (for example Saddam Hussein as my name), but all it got me was more spoofing.

I will just wait until eBay actually shuts down my account before I respond to any email.

Cameonut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I got it today too. I did look real. I got suspicious when they asked for social security number. That's when I blanked everything out and closed window.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file