since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarryimage

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I have many raw coins on eBay and a few certified. A lot of the coins are not worth slabbing (worth $50 or less), so the numbers can be misleading. Bottom line is that you have to look at each coin, read the information, and make sure that you are dealing with someone who is trustworthy.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage
    JoeCool
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    so maybe there's hope?

K S
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    A lot of the coins are not worth slabbing (worth $50 or less)

Hmmmmmm?

PURPLE!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fellow coin club member regularly buys raw, low value coins on eBay. Surprisingly, a good percentage of them are correctly graded.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    If you look at gold coins (where you're less likely to have low-priced coins not worth slabbing), you have slightly different statistics:

2913 total, 666 slabbed = 23% slabbed

Which is still 77% raw or not in one of the big three slabs, but is a bit different than the original number.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Sounds real low.
    I have 13,900 on Ebay myself right now for sale.

Ray
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    As time marches on over the next couple of years, Raw coins, and off slabs, on Ebay will become more and more dangerous to purchase. Most of the coins there will have been submitted for slabbing at the "big three" and will have been bagged. This will certainly be the case in the older and more valuable coins. I think that more and more dealers are using Ebay to dump the coins that are bodybagged or are just common dates they want to rid themselves of. Since premiums are now well over 30% for top slabs most dealers will send nearly everything in to be slabbed and sell the rejects on Ebay or at shows.Collectors of higher grade material must be very careful as time goes on buying raw and off slabbed coins anywhere if they ever hope to break even on their collections as an investment. It is possible that we might see a two sided market in the near future, with higher grade slabbed coins continueing up and raw, or off slabs, moving down. A case can already be made that "real" money will only buy slabs of the top two companies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file