Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does ANACS (or any grading service) slab counterfeits?

Does ANACS or any other grading service slab counterfeits? I know ANACS slabs damaged and cleaned, (etc) coins and was wondering if they'd slab counterfeits too, I doubt it, but I was reading a coin book and they did not mention it didn't slab fakes.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I understand that ACG does!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NO......image
    JoeCool
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Yes and no, it depends upon what the counterfeit is. As a general rule they don't slab counterfiets deliberately, but there are some contemporary counterfeits which are widely collected that they will slab. A significant number of the Conder token varieties listed in Dalton & Hamer are actually contemporary counterfeits yet they will be slabed. Many US Colonial coppers from Connecticut and Vermont were contemporary counterfeits yet all varieties of those series will be slabbed. Counterfeit British half pence struck at the Machin Mill will be slabbed. (Counterfeit half pence not struck at Machins will not, but some do get into slabs mis-identified as Machins pieces.) there are possibly some others as well. I could see the bogus busties eventually finding their way into slabs deliberately in the future instead of acidently as they sometimes do now.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I often thought the grading services were missing the boat in not slabbing counterfeits.
    All they need do is identify the coin and put in large red letters the word COUNTERFEIT.

Ray
  • Options
    Do they slab any counterfeit gold coins? I Just sent my first gold coin to ANACS (It will be my first coin slabbed, ever)
  • Options

<< <i>I often thought the grading services were missing the boat in not slabbing counterfeits.
    All they need do is identify the coin and put in large red letters the word COUNTERFEIT.

Ray >>

How are they missing the boat? They probably do better by not slabbing fakes. They still get the grading fee, but don't have to put any labor/materials into the slabbing.
    imageimageimage

imageimage