Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

JohnZ's YN Giveaway and Essay Competition - Gold Coins!

In an effort to encourage numismatic research and writing among young collectors, I’ve decided to hold an essay competition. The rules are as follows:

Eligibility

1. Contestants must be 20 years of age or younger as of March 31, 2004.
2. New members who join the CU forums after the date and time of this posting are ineligible.

The Essay

1. The content of the essay is entirely up to the author, and can focus on any subject whatsoever concerning numismatics.
2. Contestants may only submit one essay.
3. The essay must be at least 1000 words long. There is no upper limit as to the length of the essay.
4. All sources must be clearly documented with footnotes and/or a bibliography. Failure to cite sources or any other type of plagiarism will disqualify the essay.
5. The essay must not have been published in any form in the past, including the posting of the essay on the CU forums.
6. Photographs may be used in the essay, but if they are not the authors own pictures, their sources must be documented as well.

Deadlines

1. The essays must be submitted to me by PM ONLY. The deadline for the submissions is 12 PM EST, Sunday April 25, 2004. Do not post the essays on this thread.
2. The winners will be announced at 6 PM EST on Sunday May 2, 2004. At that time, I will post all of the essays on the US coin forum, along with my decisions.

Judging

1. I will be the sole judge and arbiter of the competition. As I review the essays, I will be looking for originality of thought, amount of research, correct spelling and grammar, and overall style. (Participants are strongly encouraged to consult their parents and teachers during the process of writing their essays.)
2. I reserve the right not to award any of the prizes if I deem none of the entries worthy. I sincerely hope this doesn’t happen. I would very much like to award everything.

Prizes

As most YNs don’t have the financial resources to collect gold, I’ve decided to offer a number of gold coins as prizes.

1. The first prize winner will receive a gold Eagle (pictured below).

2. The second prize winner will receive a gold Quarter Eagle (pictured below).

3. The third prize winner will receive a Mexican gold 2 ½ peso (pictured below), and a Mexican gold 1 peso (not pictured).

4. All other contestants will receive an honorable mention prize consisting of an uncirculated silver coin of my choice.

If you are a YN and would like to participate, please PM me and let me know. Also, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Good luck to you all,

John Zielinski

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    That is very nice of you. I will work on an essay for it. Thank you so much, as I love gold coins and appreciate your nice gesture!
  • Options
    Those are some real nice prizes John.image

Walt
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I was rather startled at your generosity-what a wonderful thing to do for YN's. This is significant enough to be recognized in some way by PCGS. Certainly an article in Coin World would be appropriate. Bravo!!!!imageimageimageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Thank you, Laurentyvan.

The truth be told, the US coins which I'm offering as prizes in this competition are pieces in my US type set which I recently upgraded.

I want the "discards" if you will, to go to a young collector who will appreciate their beauty and history. Perhaps a young collector who has never owned a gold coin...

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    What style of citation should be used? MLA, Old MLA or APA?

<<<(Participants are strongly encouraged to consult their parents and teachers during the process of writing their essays.)>>>

This is considered to be collusion and even asking someone to proof-read a essay is considered plagiarism.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    Historygeek: A good-faith attempt at citing sources by any method will be sufficient to the cause.

Let's remember that we're talking about teenagers here.

Collusion with one's parents and teachers is generally a GOOD thing for teenagers.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    So one word responses aren't good enough for parents? image
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    So one word responses aren't good enough for parents?

Been there, done that. image

We ARE watching you.