Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1864 MPD Indian - Can U attribute it?

GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
I got this a while ago. PCI slabbed it as an MPD, and I agree, only I can't find anything resembling it in the Cherrypicker's Guide, Breen, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the slight chance that it's a new discovery, any sugestions as to the proper course of action would be welcome. Follow the link for a large picture.

1864 MPD

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a die chip to me. It's not a listed variety. It is a With L or No L?
    Also it has what appears to be dirt. or is it corrosion?

I once had a variety that was proported to be a MPD. It was initially listed as such and later when I saw the coin it turned out that there was a lot of dirt on the coin. I asked the owner if I could put "blue ribbon" on it to remove the crud, and the MPD went away with the dirt.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Checked Rick Snow's new attribution guide and couldn't find any MPDs for 1864 listed.

Send Rick an email with the picture attached. Rick@Indiancent.com

Here's a link to the Eagle Eye website.

Maybe Shylock will see this thread. He has a couple of great MPD IHCs.

Edited to add: Looks like Rick beat me to the punch. Thought of suggesting a die gouge myself.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Oh, by the way, Welcome. I don't have anything to add to all of this because you've already heard from an expert on IHC's.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    It does have light corrosion - what PCI termed "environmental damage." I'm sure the protrusion is metal, although I hadn't thought about a die chip as was mentioned. I'll send the picture too. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file