Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1951-D Lincoln Cent (anything special?)

Is this anything special or is it just another 1951-D Lincoln Cent? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks! matteproof

Remember Lots Wife

Comments

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I'm going to guess it's a D over S mintmark.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute, how do you know it's a D/S. are you a psychic?

Whatever it is I have no clue as to its significance.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Breen 2202, FS 1-021.5, OMM #1 are all different references for the same thing. 1951-D over mint mark D/S. It's the more valuable of the varieties for this OMM.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    In the Cherrypicker's book, on page 118, it is the OMM D/S The prices are: MS63=$75 MS65= $150. But the prices are often wrong, and it could sell for higher.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    matteproof
    perfectstrike is correct with the info about the Breen #.The Breen #2202 tells us that it is in fact the D/S variety.My Wexler and Flynn book(1996) lists Overall Rarity 8,with moderate interest level.In 1996 there were ANACS certified (5) MS66 RD and (22) in MS65 RD.I hope this helps.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    All of the above is correct - I have the addition that this is one of the lesser seen OMMs in the Lincoln cent series, and I would venture to say, rarer.

The two different 1944D OMMs are rather plentiful, as is the 1952D OMM. The 1956D OMMs (two different ones) are somewhat common as well, although OMM#1 is rare in later die state. The 1946S OMM is seen less frequently, but when I went out among a pool of people I know to try securing photos of 1951D OMM#1, I had to search for someone who even had one of them...which is a bit unusual.

BTW, for those who are into Lincoln cent die varieties, there is an additional wheat OMM that isn't mentioned above. Anybody have a guess? I said wheat, so that knocks out 1980D OMM#1.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Chuck
    You aren't refering to the 1951-D/S OMM2 are you?
    Don
  • Options
    Thank you ALL for your terrific thoughts and input. I’m not very familiar with business strike Lincoln Cent varieties so I much appreciate your input. I bought this awhile back not realizing that it was as rare as suggested. Although Half Dimes are my real area of deep interest, I often acquire coins from every Series simply because I love them. Have any of you ever noticed that it sometimes seems impossible to resist any Series?

Here is another “Anacs Breen” Lincoln Cent that I picked up along the way. Is it anything? Thank you all again. matteproof

Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, for those who are into Lincoln cent die varieties, there is an additional wheat OMM that isn't mentioned above. Anybody have a guess? I said wheat, so that knocks out 1980D OMM#1. >>

Didn't NCADD list an 1911-D/S a couple of years ago? I don't know that the attribution necessarily caught on, but it fits the criteria of your question. There's also a second OMM for either 1951 or 1952, I can't recall which.

Also, Chuck, you should have asked me for a 1951-D/S to photograph. I have one in XF or so from a CONECA auction years back.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    SeanQ is on the mark with this one. A couple of years ago NCADD attributor John Bordner re-examined one of the listed 1911D RPMs and found the shape of the secondary mintmark to match that of an S better than a D and relisted the die as an OMM. I received my issue of The HUB (NCADD magazine) and oddly enough found the following coin at a show two weeks later. The positioning of the mintmark and the secondary mintmark match perfectly with the photos in the magazine. I bought this VF grade coin for $7.

C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    matteproof
    The 1944-D/S OMM 2 has a Breen # 2177 and FS #1-021.It is listed by Wexler and Flynn with an overall rarity of 6,moderate interest.In 1996 there were (2) MS66 RD,(8) MS65 RD & RB.I hope this helps.
    Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file