Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are these Italian pieces worth saving?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am really having fun going thru an old foreign (well foreign to me here in New York) coin box. Are either of these 2 pieces worth holding on to, or are they pocket pieces?
imageimage
Sorry for all these questions guys and gals.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The 1918 20c is fairly common, but still a nice coin. As for the Vatican 100 L, it's not a really high grade, but all Vatican coins from that period have low mintages and are thus scarce and hard to find.

I don't have my Krause here at work, so I can't give youy values, but I'm sure someone else will chip in. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 20 C is probably worth saving only in nice XF or better but even these will be a tough sell.
    Vatican coins have low mintages, high survival rates, and low demand. They're most valuable
    for spicing up poundage since they are seldom seen.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1918 20c is cool, albeit common. One interesting thing about that type is that many (if not all) were restruck over earlier 20-centesimi coins from the 1890's (the ones with the crown on one side). Sometimes if you look at one of the 1918 type like you have there, under magnification, you can see traces of the undertype (the earlier coin's design). These will often show traces of reeding on the edge, too. If I remember correctly, they are plain-edge coins, but if you see any reeding, it would be from the undertype (since the 1890's type had a reeded edge). I had an example in the low Mint State grades, and the undertype was so clear on it you could see the different-styled numeral "20" from the earlier coin, upside down beneath the "20" of the later strike! I'll bet a coin that had the earlier date readable would fetch a nice premium, though there probably isn't a big demand for such things. I just thought it was kinda neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks lordmarcovan for the info. I did look and like you said, the edge is plain but you can definitely see the traces of reeding.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Here is one that you can see the original coin on 1894

Mark
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark- now THAT is cool!

I just sold one of the earlier coins (the undertype), in my last round of cheap eBay auctions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NJMark1NJMark1 Posts: 479
    It would be neat to have them side by side

Mark