Better end it quick with BIN.

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Is that a "Moser" ID?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Yeah, Neal, that is the new and improved (www.neverpayfullprice.com) ID. Really makes me scratch my head because he has some georgeous stuff...in PSA, SGC and GAI plastic.image
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    Regardless of whose ID or what BIN is listed, that is one rare-a$$ card. If I were a Schmidt collector I'd whack that with no problem at a grand. You'll likely not see another.

dgf
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Not sure whether a grand will do it. The BIN tells me the seller is quite optimistic.

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I'm sure our resident Schmidt expert will come in and straighten this out in due time.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I can't wait until he does, because I am very curious. First of all, is Moser now hooked in to GAI? I thought he was a PRO/BGS trimmer/scammer. Second, this card looks a bit off center to me anyway. Third, it's a 1985 mini card! Who would pay even a fraction of that for this? I would think a PSA 10 of the regular 1985 Schmidt might bring $75.00 on a good day...so what's the deal? Are the mini's that desireable?
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the opening bid will be met and then some. The BUY IT NOW is a little off the wall.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    This 1985 mini is not like a typical mini-league leaders card. These were test issues done (i think) with OPC and between 100 and 200 of each card exist- they are impossible to find, especially of stars. I would be a little leery of spending so much for a modern card in a GAI holder die to the possibility of trimming. I'm not sure how reputable GAI is, but I at least them a step or two above the junk.
  • Options
    mudflap,
    GAI is the least likely grading company to permit an altered example into a holder. If you research who grades the cards at GAI you will make my argument and enlighten yourself. This is not an indictment on PSA or SGC, but GAI is first-rate in that capacity and they're maybe just a touch above junk. You really should inform yourself before stating an opinion.

This '85 mini is a monster of a card and, from the scan provided, appears worthy of the lofty grade. If Marc has the means at this point it would be great to see him add this card to his set.

dgf
  • Options
    Heh, looks like the seller is watching this thread and trying to adjust his opening bid and BIN accordingly ...

Robert
  • Options
    So it appears. Nice catch.

dgf
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts:

This is not a $6,000 card - never is, never was.

I own a PSA 9 version of the card that I purchased for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the opening bid. My card is well-centered, and gorgeous. Perhaps not as nice as this one -- but who knows?

The 1985 Mini issue is an interesting one. It is certainly rare - though I never thought it was quite as rare as the "only 100 sets exist" type propoganda that I always saw about. Just my feeling, of course - as I do not have any scientific evidence or proof one way or another.

Alan Hager has owned and sold a LARGE number of the 1985 Mini cards - for whatever that is worth.

I have been able to very successfully pick up raw Phillies cards from this set that have graded out at PSA 8 and PSA 9 levels. I have been able to pick up those cards in the $8 - $15 range.

Finally - I have never seen the Schmidt card sell raw for more than $200. There are pricing differences and nuances as it relates to the stat-back versus blank-backed versions. PSA will only grade the stat-back cards, whereas I think GAI will grade either.

One last point - for better or worse, the Schmidt graded market is a fairly thin one. I have developed a fairly significant information network of who collects, who I can trade with, etc. I have successfully sold and bought a number of the rarer Schmidt cards. There are precious few people out there willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a premium graded Schmidt card (with exception noted to those Schmidt cards that are included in various set collectors' sets). With some of these rarer Schmidt cards - there is sometimes a "greater fool" type phenomenon going on. I certainly acknowledge that I have overpaid for a large number of Schmidt graded cards in the past - I recognize this and do not feel bad about that. However, the risk when running an auction like this is - if you come right out and are willing to pay $1,200 for this card - what if the "next" person is only willing to pay $600. $1,200 can likely get you a 60/40 Schmidt rookie card in PSA 9 MINT -- which is much more desirable than this card, despite this card's rarity. When you start the auction high (noted here that the starting bid has changed at least once...), you probably don't want to be caught being the one paying so much for a card like this. I'm very happy with the PSA 9 I bought a year and a half ago (and the PSA 8 Carlton that was included in the deal....), but I also like some of the raw ones I've been able to purchase in the $100 - $175 range. My general experience is that when a card is very rare - the normal high-grade multiples don't apply so much anymore.

I wish the seller the best of luck in his auction. It is absolutely a beautiful card - and would be a great addition to any Schmidt collection.

At any rate - long day of interviews today, and I've got cases and final exams and more interviews to prepare for for tomorrow and Friday.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I saw this earlier today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the BIN $95,000???? image

I will agree with Marc on this one. Although rare, this is not a $95,000 card, it's not a $6,500 card, and it's not even a $1,195 card. Most raw examples of this card will grade high and they do come up on ebay every now and then. I can't imagine this card ever selling for even half of the current minimum bid.

On another note, I would be interested to see how the Population of these cards pans out over the next few years. Again, I will agree with Marc and his query as to the true rarity of this issue. We've all seen the published "100 cards in existence", but I wouldn't be surprised if this number is higher. I hope it isn't. Maybe in 100 years, my great grandchildren will be able to sell one from my collection along the lines of what the T206 Wagner goes for now! image

JEB.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree with JEB. (The BIN when I saw it was $9995.00!, but his opening bid was $995.00. He raised that, but lowered the BIN, great sport that he is!) He is a questionable seller to boot, so I would be shocked to see this bring any big money.

And, it still looks off-center L/R a bit to me.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Now that we have the full story about the mini '85s, what about the giant '85s? Are those rare? Probably not, as I have a bunch! image
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    The BIN was definitely the price of a house (and not one with wheels on it) when the auction started. I don't know if it was a typo or if the same thing was running through his mind as the guy selling the million dollar Mays the other day.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    His original BIN price was $95,000!! Goin' after the dope smokin' Schmidt collectors obviously!

I don't know too much about these, but I do know they were available in a single 132 card sheet (some with blank backs). Just my opinion, but the borders on this card look HUGE. Much bigger than Ryans I've seen. Is this a sheet cut card? Any insight here?
  • Options
    Hi Keith,

I'll post a scan of my 85 Ryan Mini tonight that you can use to compare.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay Userid : sjeanblanc
    ------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    Scott;

I think I'd be able to make a MUCH better comparison if you sent me the real thing! image
  • Options
    Here's the 1985 Topps Mini Nolan Ryan card.

• Options
    Scott;

That is one "GAW-JUSS" card! I hope one day a copy that fine resides in The Conforti Collection!

• Options

<< <i>His original BIN price was $95,000!! Goin' after the dope smokin' Schmidt collectors obviously!

I don't know too much about these, but I do know they were available in a single 132 card sheet (some with blank backs). Just my opinion, but the borders on this card look HUGE. Much bigger than Ryans I've seen. Is this a sheet cut card? Any insight here? >>

I think the borders are just a bit more out of proportion when they incorporated it into the actual design.

Yes, they printed about 100 of these and about 2/3 have backs and 1/3 do not. Im pretty excited to have 2 pristine Eddie Murrays (each version). One of which I feel has a solid shot at getting 10.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options

<< <i>Scott;

That is one "GAW-JUSS" card! I hope one day a copy that fine resides in The Conforti Collection!

image >>

Awesome card. I love these. Might be a fun set to put together.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    I know the proportion of border to image is different on the minis, but I dunno... the borders on the Schmidt look a tad bigger than the Ryan.

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    $609.99

...not quite the $6000.00 price the seller was looking for, but not bad nonetheless.

Mini 1985 Schmidt SOLD

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mikeschmidt - do you think Hager was trimming the '85 Minis that ended up in ASA slabs? I ask this because I picked up an ASA-8 from that set recently.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.