Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do y'all think about this SMS half?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
I realize the image is a bit rough, but it's all I have to offer:

The reverse is a knock-out. The obverse has really nice mirrors, but not nearly the same frost and contrast as the reverse, there's a faint spot on the neck, and it is also hairlined all to heck. A brief look at the pops and '67 seems to be the most commonly found SMS half in cameo, which makes me think I should save my money and spare this one the trip west. Other opinions?

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have answered your own question.

al h.image
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend your money to certify a coin that has potential to make you some money. It isn't cameo and won't grade high due to the spot and the hairlines.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>which makes me think I should save my money and spare this one the trip west. >>

You have correctly assessed the situation. Still a nice coin, but more suited for an album than a slab.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if anyone will tell me whether I have my head on straight or crooked, it's the folks on this board image Thanks for letting me know I'm on the right track.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file