Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Sometimes you just have to buy something that doesn't fit in any of your sets

I just got this in today. After the auction I e-mailed the seller and we agreed on a price under his minimum bid. Favre is one of my favorite players, and the 1991 Stadium Club super bowl parallel is damn tough in any grade. I consider this the premier modern oddball football card, and I've wanted one for years. This is the only PSA 10 out of 14 graded. There are 388 PSA 10's out of 6270 graded of his base Stadium Club RC. I still can't believe I paid 4 figures for a 1991 card. image I hope my inevitable buyer's remorse isn't too acute image.

Joe
No such details will spoil my plans...

Comments

• Options
    what happend to the seller?
    no longer registered
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    He told me that someone called eBay and said his address was incorrect, so they suspended him while they investigate. I exchanged a few e-mails with him yesterday and he was cool about the whole thing. He understood my concern because I hadn't seen the card yet or a tracking number when he suddenly went NARU, so he gave me the tracking number which said the card would get to me today, and it did. It's even nicer than I thought it would be image.

Joe
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I cant see the SB logo in the enlarged scan. Anyone else see it??

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    It's very hard to see in a scan. It's an embossment which is really faint, but it's easy to see in person. Maybe I'll take a digital pic at an angle and see if it shows up.

Joe
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Cool.
    anyway, nice card!!

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

That is one great looking card Joe.

Most modern cards look like a monkey on LSD designed them.
    What a concept ... a card with the name of the player and a cool picture of him on it. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do !!! image

Nice Card !!!!

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    ive always loved the 91 stadium club design....i put together a baseball set series 1 and 2 with 6 boxes at 10 each last december and also put togethera football set at the time for MUCH MORE lol. At any rate i got my farve out of that set graded and it came back a psa 9...one of only a few ive actually had graded by psa which i had done back in 1999. at any rate, great farve and great stadium club set!!! the 2002 and up sets of stadium club look like dookey and so to most sets today!!! the simple design of 1991 stadium club might make them worth something in about 250 years...the base cards that is..your is obviously worth more now!

Loth
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    he is no longer a registered user I imagine cuz someone was jealous of his sucess and ratted him out to ebay either with correct info or made up, either way the guy/gal has been doin a hell of a business bringing top notch stuff into the hobby. my 2 cents
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Time will tell how the hobby untimately views parallels. They were scorching hot at first off course, now people just don't care (with notable exceptions like '93 Finest Refractors). I have a hunch that when the hobby matures some of the tougher parallels will have a renaissance. But then again, I've always been biased towards the oddball stuff.

Joe
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Joe, very nice pick-up..

I saw this one, but was scared off by the minimum bid..lol

I think you said it best " the premier modern oddball football card"...As popular as Favre is, I think there will always be a market for a card as rare as this one.

I wonder if there is anyway to find out the total number of these in existence?

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jason,
    I've heard estimates of 200-300 sets. Singles can be found but not very often and not in much quantity, so the estimate is probably not too far off.

Joe
  • Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Joe,

Congratulations on the nice pick up. I was also seriously eyeing it up and was waiting for it get relisted with a lower opening price. Favre is one of the throwbacks in the NFL and will always have a large collector following.

chad
  • Options
    Joe,

Awesome pick up. I was tracking the auction as well and thought about dropping the change for the card but 4 figures was out of... no, WAY out of my budget!!! Even still, that's a great, great pickup! Enjoy!

Andy
  • Options
    Enjoy the card Joe. I agree with you on the oddball stuff. I'm a big comic collector and when I was a kid the oddball or non-mainstream books didn't sell. Price variants were frowned upon. NOW variants and oddball books are all the rage. Many unwanted comics big huge multiples as compared to the regular issue. Although it took the comic market quite a few years to realize this (20+ ???), I can see this happening with cards.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Very nice pickup. Super Bowl cards are tough to find, especially in nice condition.