Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does not seeing your coins every day take some of the fun out of collecting?

Hi, Everybody -

It's getting to the point that I really should keep my collection in a safe deposit box. I don't like the idea because I won't be able to look at the coins unless I drive to the bank. For those of you that keep your coins locked up, does that take away from the pleasure that you derive from collecting?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I can see mine any time I want. Just click the folder that says "coin images".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same position. I think the digipics will help make the separation easier.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I do the same as Russ. Works great!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, you guys are fast. The high-res pics of the varietes are better than the real thing - easier to see.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I scanned all my coins and made a web site for them. I can look at them wherever I am and won't miss them because they are locked up.
    Works great!
    John
    Check out my coin site
    myurl
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to hate it when I got my first safety deposit box but have gotten used to it.
    I do keep a circulated set of clad quarters at home and these are fun to look at when
    a "fix" is needed.

At some point there is simply no alternative to getting a box or an armed gaurd.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So which of these two contradictory statements describes your sentiments towards your coins:

Out of sight; out of mind OR
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think absence makes the heart grow fonder.

About two years ago, my collection got to the point where I had to put it in the bank for protection and peace of mind. Hated it at first, not having them readily available. But actually am glad I did, hasnt been much trouble if you plan ahead. In fact, Once in a while, Ill stop in just to view them. It feels good to look at them when I havent seen them for a period of time.

jim d
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Same with me, don't mind planning ahead to go see my coins. And certainly, if you can make a setup to take digipics and keep them nearby on the computer, it's a great way to inventory, enjoy, note if there is any change in the coins' appearance, etc., etc., etc.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I don't see them a lot I think I tend to have more appreciation for how nice some of them really are.
  • Options
    I do the same as jhuberdude, definitely.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    When I outgrew the 4th bank box (at $100 a year) I had to buy a safe................

Bought a used Mosler............ stands 6 ft tall, 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep.............

4 inch steel and concrete walls.............. Cost me more to had it moved in than the safe cost !!!!!!!!!

Reinforced the floor from underneath with a 6 inch I-beam and trestle jacks..............

Now I can look at them ANYTIME !!!!!

Shoulda done it BEFORE I spent over $2000 cumultive in bank boxes (Makes a great place for important records (not the Lucy-Bop kind)

Best thing to remember is .......... If 2-3 grown men can lift it, it's too small !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    WOW, that is some safe!!! I drove by the Mosler factory in Hamilton, OH several times when coming home from college (many years ago).

Every coin I have worth >$20 is in the bank. The peace of mid is worth it, the digital pics work fine, my low value stuff is around for the fix (like clad king), and it's fun to visit them every month or so.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now thats what I call a safe!!!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file