Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

66.0 GPA Achieved with a Special Coin in the Washington Series

Today I recieved the results of a submission which included a very special coin.
This coin was the coin that, at the time when I bought it, completed my set at 100%.
The coin was offered to me at that time by one of our finest board members and astute Washington quarter collector.
He offered it to me knowing that it would complete my set, and also because he thought that I could appreciate it. He hated parting with the coin, but had just upgraded his set with a coin that was 2 grades higher. The coin is absolutely gorgeous and this previous owner, along with the dealer which he bought it from, thought it should be at least a grade higher and, consequently, tried several times to upgrade it without success. He asked for and I paid a premium for the beauty of this coin and at the time I felt it was well worth it. Now I feel even more so!

After holding this coin for over a year, I finally had the "stones" to crack it out and take another shot at it. It didn't hurt that another good friend and Washington "Master" Craig (Manofcoins) Norris, affirmed our hopes and sent it in with some of his. Today, the results showed that PCGS finally agreed with us and gave it the upgrade it deserved. This coin will always be one of the "cornerstones" of my set, having first completed it and then now putting it over the 66.00 GPA.

A very special Thanks to Tom Schiera for bringing this very special '36-D to my set.

Thanks Tom!

And a Big Thanks Craig for all your help.

Without the help of these two Great Guys, my set wouldn't be on the front page!

Don

On another note; PCGS bagged (for "Artificial Color") two others of mine which were both cracked-out of PCGS MS66 holders. Both are '42-S's that Craig and I thought had a shot at 67. One is still in my registry set and was in a "Walser" pedegreed holder. ( you can go to my set and see a picture and read the description.) Both are now headed for a presidential review, and I'm waiting on a call from David Hall. So until I hear from David, a cert # is holding a spot in my set! image

FULL Heads RULE!

Comments

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Congratulations Don. I'm truly happy for you . 66.0 is something to be proud of!image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don: CONGRATULATIONS!!

Super upgrade!! Way to add value to your collection "the easy way". And, what a great date to upgrade!!

Kudos to Tom and Craig as well. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks Mitch,

I am very sorry that I forgot to mention that you also thought the coin had a shot. It's been over a year since I showed it to you at a Santa Clara show. The weight of your opinion also had a lot to do with me gainin' some "stones"! image

Thanks again, Mitch, for your much appreciated imput.

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    Don: You are welcome image

Another thing - once you convince yourself that you are just as happy owning your coins in Safeflips, it becomes real easy to crack out super "PQ" coins for future submissions/upgrade shots. I own Red box after Red box of flipped up Wash quarters. Some have yet to "work" (I really stopped submitting silver quarters this year due to some other projects), some may likely never "work", some are just too darn pretty to reside in MS66 holders, etc. The key is to "crack" the right ones though - otherwise, it can get fairly costly image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Don don't mean to rain on your parade but you should ecstatic because PCGS finally properly graded an undergraded coin and them body bagged two coins that they previously had slabbed. Good lord all mighty, doesn't anyone see that the emperor has no clothes. You guys seemed to be actually celebrating PCGS's incompetence inre to this submission. Craig this is the company you consider far and away the best TPG. You guys are so deep into chasing the plastic, I don't think you will ever get it. image
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I agree with IrishMike 100%. Well said.
  • Options
    Don,

Thank you for the compliment and again, congratulations on the '36-D going into MS65 plastic! I'm very happy for you, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! image

As for the negative comments from another board member, it's too bad some people can't be happy for another collector without having to bash them/their efforts along the way. If people can't be happy for you for what it is you're happy about at the time, then they ought to just keep their big mouths SHUT!

Tom
  • Options
    Congratulations Don on both the 66.02 GPA and the 36d upgrade! imageimage

Rick
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    IrishMike or myself aren't bashing quattrocoins efforts at all, and are certainly happy for quattrocoins. We're bashing pcgs's lack of grading consistency.
  • Options
    I quote: "You guys are so deep into chasing the plastic, I don't think you will ever get it."Text

Certainly sounds to me like it was directed at Don and Craig/their efforts. Don and Craig are my good friends and are two of the best guys I know, not to metion great collectors. I stand up for my friends. I didn't like the tone of Irish Mike's comments, and that prompted my previous response. Don was happy about his '36-D grading results and and was sharing his good news with those here...so he gets bashed in the process, along with Craig?! That's low. Too bad people can't take a good thing at face value and allow Don his time to shine without having to put a damper on it. If you can't say anything nice in response, then don't say anything!

Tom Schiera
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Craig all grading companies overgrade or undergrade, I wasn't baggin on PCGS , in fact that wasn't my point at all. My point is that many collectors are so driven by the plastice that they fail to see what a game it all is. Ask yourself this, how many times are you willing to resubmit a coin hoping that a TPG agrees with you and what exactly is the point to it. Its the same coin whether it says 65 or 66 on the label. I would be more then a little disturbed if I cracked out coins and they came back bodybagged for AT. Instead of anyone being upset lost in all the noise is the fact that 3 coins were misgraded at some point in time. This thread could just as easily be a story about how inconsistent a TPG could be rather then a celebration that one coin got an upgrade after how many attempts? How comfortable would you be with a submission that upgrades one coin and bodybags two that resided in their holders to begin with. I don't know about any one else but it doesn't inspire confidence in me that they got one right and two wrong, could easily have been the other way around.
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Don!! IMHO the chase for the plastic is a fun and challenging aspect of the coin collecting hobby and I don't see anything wrong with doing this. It makes you feel really good when the so called experts finally agree with your evaluation of a coins proper grade.

Charlieimage
  • Options
    Guys: In a couple weeks in Las Vegas, there will be the Invitationals - both the NGC and PCGS Invitationals. This time, PCGS will be first (sometimes, NGC is first). The biggest dealers in the country will be out in Las Vegas submitting coins to these events. And, does anyone want to come on this thread and suggest that the many of PCGS "liner" coins that fail to make the "ultimate" grade at the First Invitational won't be cracked out of the holders by the big dealers and top "upgraders' and then submitted a day or two later to NGC for another chance at the "ultimate" grade? And, vice versa, when NGC goes first.

What I find personally amusing is that no one will come on these threads and insult the "top upgraders" for playing this game every day - in fact, they are generally revered AND WHEN THEIR COINS FINALLY WORK, THEY ARE GENERALLY GOBBLED UP IN A NEW YORK SECOND FOR DEALERS' INVENTORY. So, why pee on Don's parade?

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, for all your kind words.

Mike:
    I don't understand your show of disgust. If us guys "don't get it", is that how it makes you feel?image
    I was debating bringing-up the b-bs in a separate thread, as I thought it might just "spoil" this one. But I'm not the most proficient poster, and I felt it was the "yin" to my '36-D's "yang".
    As far as being "comfortable" with such a submission, I'm not. That is the reason for the presidential review and my call to Mr. Hall. image

Don

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 37-D & 37-S also look prime for a definite upgrade to 67! Am I wrong?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Don,
    Congratulations on the 36D, a real tuffy. image
    I think everyone who submits coins has had their share of highs & lows with the results, if i believe the coin merits the grade i will resubmit it.
    I've never been 100% accurate but neither is the grading services, follow your( gut feeling) and a little advice from Craig N. & Tom S. along with Mitch sure won't hurt. image

We've all been through bodybag (AT'D) route, Good luck on your Pres. review.

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on that 36-D, Don. Tough date!

Have to say that the Washington collectors are a class group!
  • Options
    Mitch,
    Thanks for thinkin' that I deserved a "parade". image
    However, I'm not the paradin' type. image
    My point in the thread was my appreciation of the friends I've met here, and the general "registry" info. image

Pat,
    Funny how you brought up the '37-S, as that came from the same person that the '42-S did.
    Although both those coins ('37-D&S) look prime for an upgrade in my pictures, I didn't think that they had a shot.

And speakin' of friends, Jon Rosenthal (Tonelover) contacted me to offer any help he can provide on the '42-S. This after askin' me if there were any issues between us on a coin that I've held for about a year and then cracked out. Jon's coins are mostly always premium for the grade (if they're not, he'll tell ya), and he was as surprised as I was on the results.
    Another classy guy I've met here! image

Numis-Don,
    The '36-D "made" 65!
    The set made 66. image

Thanks again, Guys

Don

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    "And speakin' of friends, Jon Rosenthal (Tonelover) contacted me to offer any help he can provide on the '42-S. This after askin' me if there were any issues between us on a coin that I've held for about a year and then cracked out."

Impressive. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quattro: Congrats indeed. I will be really short since I am busier than even Frattolaw.

That is an incredible looking 1936-D. I love that frosty luster that seems to be somewhat unique to the Washington quarter silver series. It appears to be a later die state but I love them that way!!!

I remember the 1936-D being the toughest date outside of the 1932-D to come this nice back in the 1960's and 1970's. It simply wasn't saved then. Collectors simply coudln't afford to back then especially in the midwest.
    1936 was the beginning of the 2nd leg of the Great Depression which hit the midwest a lot harder then the west coast and east coast.

I have been able to locate two astonishing GEM ROLLS of 1936 and 1936-S BU quarters in my 40 years of looking, but NEVER even a scent of a 1936-D roll!!!!!

Don't worry, I kept the best Gem rolls of each date/mm even to this date. Still RAW too!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. I hope to own a coin like that for my set someday. Those are some awesome photo's too. What camera are you using?

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input, Oreville.
    image I've always thought that the Great Depression was a major factor to the rarity of the early '30s "D" mints, and I doubt that the pops will ever be too large for these dates.

Thanks Dennis, for the comp. image
    Funny though, I think my pictures suck! image
    I use a Nikon CoolPix 775, and I'm still trying to find a way to capture both color and luster. The '36-D just booms with both! image
    Ya gotta admit, the coin you bought from me looked much better than my pic! image

Don

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    Don,
    Congrads on the great addition and setimage
    Can't we all get along? I guess they are just jealous and needed to say something
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the rarity of the better condition D mint quarters during the Great Depression I received a phone call from a pretty indignant and world famous businessman demanding proof as to how I knew the rarity of the D mint quarters was due to the Great Depression.

Aside from being floored as to finding out that he was actually reading these threads, I slowly came to my senses.

I told him that indeed I had proof of the D mint quarter not being saved in quantities during the mid 1930's.

I told him I had two questions for him that was commonplace during the 1930's ( I added a little background behind each question)

First question:

BROTHER, CAN YOU SPARE A DIME?
    (Gorney, Harburg)

When Bing Crosby recorded this song in October, 1932, one out of every four Americans who wanted work could not find work. The banking system was near collapse. Record sales had plummeted because Americans did not have the money for such luxuries. No song captures the dark spirit of the Great Depression more than "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" The song was written for a Broadway musical, "New Americana." The show flopped and closed two days before Bing stepped into the recording studio. Both Bing and Rudy Vallee each recorded the song shortly before President Roosevelt's election. Both versions went to No. 1 in the charts. Bing's interpretation, with his ominous baritone, proved to be the one that would stand the test of time.

Second question:

BROTHER CAN YOU BUY A PENCIL FOR A NICKEL?

Never became a song.

Then I asked my friend another question..................how come they didn't say Brother can you spare a quarter? and Brother can you buy a pencil for a quarter?

He immediately clammed up. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

FULL Heads RULE!