Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'71's that never were

Stumbled across this site last nite and thought it was worth passing on-an interesting project based around '71 Topps, and a few other sets of that era. The photo selection looks pretty steller- wish my '71's looked that good!
Steve's '71 Project

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Comments

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Griffins,

I have actually helped Steve with some scans in the past.

Here is another one of mine that should be added to the '71 set! image

Sorry about the quality - this was a quick one that I did about 2 years ago.

JEB.

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Jeb, I have also done that, it is fun. I made a card of myself once with my name on it. The trick to making all the letters match is to use several pictures of PSA cards and to cut and paste the letters that you want one at a time. If you use enough pictures, you have the whole alphabet in PSA font.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I thought Jimi played for the Band of Gypsy's? Was that b4 the RED Sox got him and After the Orange Sunshine? lol

UD Vintage used the 71 format 3 years ago....I didnt like what they did this yr so I passed, I cant even figure out what card this yr's was supposed to resemble anyone know? btw great site u turned us on too.....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I am Steve of the '71 Project. Thanks for the compliments. Griffins, yours was especially nice because I take great care to find just the right pose to use. I'm curious Griffins how you came across my site? It's not registered with the search engines at all. Either way thanks for the pub. I went from 0 hits on Monday to 70 on Tuesday-Wednesday.

Anyway, I am in desperate need of all who have nice older photos who would be willing to share for the project. While I have plenty of Clemente and Aaron etc I am specifically looking for Willie Davis, Nate Colbert, Pat Dobson, Wes Parker, and many players like that.

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    UD Vintage used the 71 format 3 years ago....I didnt like what they did this yr so I passed, I cant even figure out what card this yr's was supposed to resemble anyone know?

win — It's a pretty lame attempt to look like 54 Red Hearts. They should have used those dripping wet color backgrounds from the original set though. That 54 set is beautiful! One day, I will build it. With this uear's knockoff, like everything UD does, it came out a little too slick!
  • Options
    When I hit the link, it says temporarily unavailable. And its said that all day. Is there a www. address I can use?

Thanks,

Keith
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Just tried the link it and worked for me, but here is the cut and paste version

http://www.geocities.com/dewing19/

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    '71's were the first cards I collected from packs, so I was pretty excited when the Upper Decks came out and bought several boxes (the first packs I had ripped since '74). As good as those were, they pale in comparison to the ones on Steve's site. The new updates look great.
    I"d love to see some of cards that never were- '55 Topps Mantle, '56 Musial, Diamond Stars Gehrig, Delong Ruth.

• Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Griffins,

Cool Post !!!

He has done some really nice cards.

Steve,

Welcome to the boards !!!!

I would post a thread or at least explain your purpose to everyone on this thread.I think that you would get more responses.Really good job.I enjoyed your site. image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Vic, thanks for the kind words.

I've thought about at least attempting to explain the "why" of my project on the website but it's been hard to find the right words. There's obviously no money to be made and since they are created for the computer they are not optimized to be printed out. I just enjoy creating them and enjoy tracking down hard to find images of lesser known players. I also feel that there are alot of nice images out there tucked away in yearbooks and such that should be seen and appreciated.

As far as goals are concerned, the "completist" side of me would like to create at least one of every player from 1965-1980. I realize that finding a color image of Sal Campisi or Jim Foor is not likely so I'll first shoot for anybody with 500 ab's or more for batters and 200 innings for pitchers. Who knows, I may lose interest anyday but for now it's enjoyable. I do know one other person (specializes in 66's) who is doing this actively and I will probably end up putting some of his nicer stuff on my site.

Steve

PS I hope I killed two birds with one stone here. I got the explanation out of the way and gave this thread a "bump". I always get many hits when there are any posts here and today I need them as nobody has visited yet.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Steve Great cards! 1971 was the first year I bought cards. They used to br 5 cards for a nickle out of the vending machine at Ben Franklins. Your sight brings back great memories. Man, I'd like to find one of those machines now.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I have added a page of 1967's created by "Nobis". Very nice work I hope you all decide to check it out. www.geocities.com/dewing19/nobis

Also I was wondering if anybody knows of a more appropriate discussion forum for my posts whether it be here on Collectors Universe or elsewhere? I am also hoping to find a group that collects baseball books, yearbooks, team publications etc... Can anyone help out?

Thanks,
    Steve
    the '71 Project
  • Options
    Steve,
    THE BEST!!! Absolutely cool. You don't need a "why" page to explain your doing this project. It's like Harley-Davidson...if you need to ask, you wouldn't understand. I feel the boards are truly optomized when stuff like this gets posted. Sure, it's not nearly as creative as Michael and Greg pissing on one another like a couple of "sallies", but I could look at these all day. I collect '77 topps and would love to see a Dawson (like your '71) from that year by himself...as well as Dale Murphy among hundreds of others. I would be interested to know how you do this and learn all about it. That stuff is FANTASTIC!!! Shoot me an email if you have some time. Thanks for the great works of art,

dgf
  • Options
    ...that "67 Clendenon" kicked my a$$ as well...

dgf
  • Options
    dgf,
    Thanks for the compliments. Your Harley-Davidson analogy was perfect.

It's funny you mention creating some '77 cards. On Sunday I started creating a template for 1977 cards. It is still sitting half-done because I've been so busy. It's a very easy design to do, I just have some text issues to work out. When I do finish it I'll make sure to do Dawson and Murphy cards. Are there any other rookies from that year that should be done? Trammell? I like the 77 set, probably because it's essentially the same as the 71 set only done up with fancy lettering and white borders.

I will send you an email when I have more than a few minutes to spare.

I agree that the Clendenon card that "Nobis" did is very nice. He sent me a copy of the source pic so I'll create a card of my own at some point. It's just the style of image I like to use.

Steve

• Options
    Steve-
    The '67 Mantle you just posted looks incredible! I never liked his Topps card, made him look like a bloated alcoholic. The Carew is nice too, how about a good '67 Seaver?

• Options
    If that was Carew's 67 card, definitely would be the best looking card ever issued of him. Just goes to show why the 67 design is awesome. Very nice work - thanks for sharing.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.