Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GOETZ: 50 Pfennig Pattern Opus 353

K-353 50 Pfennig Pattern, 1925, Silver, 23.7mm. RARE Not shown in either Kienast Reference book. Schaaf 324 G5

One of four varieties designed by Goetz in 1925. None were chosen for coin designs.. This speciman sits in a PCGS PR66 holder.

Comments

• oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Silver!!! I haven't seen many of Goetz works in silver, interesting.
    Shep
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pattern cacheman! I have never seen this design before and it inspired me to look the issue up in Schaaf. I really like all 4 of the Goetz designs for the 1925 50pf. I am surprised they didn't use one of these on actual coinage?!? Congrats on a great pick up!image
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Shame they weren't used as coins-that is a stunning piece. Goetz captures the field worker perfectly-what an economy of detail which actually results in a much stronger, more powerful image, translating nicely into the horn of plenty.

I think the date would have worn quickly though-is that why they weren't used? Or did they prefer his more obviously Germanic designs, extolling the motherland?

No politics, was there?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • I'd like to enter this giveaway, and thanks again. By the way is it yours? and what's it worth?
  • Nice coin. Never fully understood what GOETZ was, ever since I've been on these forums I've seen these coin titles with "GOETZ" pop up image . The coin reminds me of a german coin I have, it has a similiar design.
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    GCL-Google, now!

Look it up-or click on Visit my website www.KarlGoetz.com at the bottom of Scott's page-you won't believe the beauty and strength of his designs. Be careful or there'll be another paper due!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way is it yours? and what's it worth? >>

yes...a lot...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks sorta like the design on the Czechoslovakian 1-koruna pieces from the 1940's and '50's.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, LM nailed it! The design of the obverse is almost identical to these korunas. Look it up: KM4
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Another amazing Goetz! Keep 'em coming, Scott!

It seems to be a GErman tradition not to pick the most spectacular pattern coins for general circulation but to settle with something less "eye-popping". A shame, really. But then, this probably happened in many countries.

In Denmark there was a contest for a new series of coins in the early 20th century, and one suggestion included square coins with very interesting designs. Unfortunately none of them were ever struck, not even as patterns. I have been searching for a picture of the series on the net for you to see, but so far no luck image

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • You really suckimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Cacheman, I'm not a medal or pattern guy and know next to nothing about Goetz, but I am very impressed with your collection and have been following your posts here about the Goetz pieces. Keep 'em coming!
  • I just have to agree with many others that this should have become actual coinage.

The German coin collectors would have been arguing over how much detail in the wheat (oats, other legumes?) constituted the difference between a 62 and a 66... image

Seriously though, it's such strong imagery that it's really a shame. I know very little about the politics surrounding the pattern submissions and how much the rampant inflation of the time would have played into even deciding to go forward with any coinage. Any thoughts?
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)